to riddle or seive

• 2 Replies

rowlandwells

to riddle or seive
« on: February 13, 2018, 16:45 »
when you use composts for seeding and potting on do you riddle or sieve your compost depends how you define riddling or sieving I personally  riddle my composts and for seeding add vermiculite for potting perlite with a little sharp sand 

we also bought a rotary sieve a couple of years ago hardly ever been used so what's your take on this when using your composts for seeding and potting  some say including Monty no need to sieve compost  when potting but I've found pieces stick in some composts but I have to say the clover compost I've been using is very good quality not many lumps no sticks

snowdrops

Re: to riddle or seive
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 16:53 »
For me it really just depends on what compost I have & what size seeds I’m sowing, I do sieve through a little sieve especially for seed sowing to cover the seeds if I’m coving with compost though. The last few years I’ve been using jacks magic & it’s not been too bad. But things like beans I certainly don’t bother to sieve at all.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Dev

• Experienced Member
Re: to riddle or seive
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 18:39 »
I agree with Snowdrop. I've used a compost last year that seemed to have loads of stones and bits of stick in it, so when I sowed this years tomato, chilli and aubergines on the windowsill (ever the optimist) I sieved the compost. It was much easier to use with small seeds, although I think I would add a bit of vermiculite next time. I don't intend to do that for courgettes, squash, beans peas etc. At the end of the day it gets dark - sorry - I mean it all depends on what works best for you.

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 35 queries.