the cost of gardening

• 9 Replies

rowlandwells

the cost of gardening
« on: February 10, 2018, 14:07 »
how much do you think you spend on your gardens or allotments per year that's taking into account the rent seed compost and other commodities

and apart from getting the enjoyment out of gardening do you think its all worth the effort when you could quite easy go to a supermarket and buy you weekly veg go back and put your feet up and watch the telle the same applies to the flower garden go to the garden centres buy all your plants already in trays or pots you just need a hour and a trowel job done sit down poor yourself a drink and admire your ready grown plants

jaydig

Re: the cost of gardening
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 14:40 »
Taking into account the rent for my double plot, petrol for the rotavator, seeds, fertiliser and the odd few pounds spent on seed trays etc. I spend no more than £200 per year on my allotment, which equates to the princely sum of £3.85 per week.  For this I get fresh air, exercise, good company and more fruit and veg than we can possibly eat,  grown with no artificial additives whatsoever. Everything is absolutely fresh and we can choose the varieties that we like. Surplus is either frozen, made into jams and chutneys or given away to neighbours. The sense of achievement when putting a meal on the table and being able to say "I grew all of that", (except for the meat, which I don't eat anyway) is second to none.
There is no doubt that we wouldn't eat as well as we do if I had to buy fruit and veg from the supermarket, nor would it be as fresh, plus none of it is plastic wrapped so it helps the environment to a degree.
I dread the day when I am no longer fit enough to cope with the plot, although I hope the exercise will keep me healthy enough for a good while yet.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 14:46 »
Hear hear! Jaydig , I feel much the same about my plot and gardening in general.
I dread the day when I'll feel I have to give it all up  :ohmy:

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 17:27 »
there is  no doubt it would be cheaper to buy certain veg but we all need a hobby.
for me its a passion as well as stress relief.
I agree the sense of achievement when you can say "i grew all that on your plate" is immense.
how much do people pay for activities they participate in??

Pescador

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 16:20 »
My 10 pole plot showed a surplus of £660 in 2017.
This is calculated as value of fruit and veg harvested (at local supermarket prices), minus cost of rent, seed, fertilizer etc.
It cannot value the exercise, fresh air, enjoyment, freshness etc
(The enjoyment of picking sprouts and PSB in the strong north-westerly this morning was fairly minimal!)
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

LILLILEAF

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 17:01 »
I know I don't have the garden to pay for,as it is all in with the rent,we have a veg plot,a greenhouse,for me its the exercise the fresh air the feeling of total bliss when I am in the garden,thn we have all the fruit and veg we can eat,which is a bonus so worth all the work.How can people not want to grow their own produce its a great feeling of growing your own food :)

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 17:20 »
I don't think there is any point in comparing costs of home grown with supermarket produce, because there are some things you cannot put a money value on - the fresh air, the sounds of birdlife showing winter is coming to an end, the buzz you get from seeing that first flawless spud lifted by your fork, the successes and failures, the banter from other allotmenteers. I just don't understand why not everyone wants to garden!

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 17:35 »
I agree totally. I think my gardens and veg plots cost me about £300 a year for seed, plug-plants, compost, seed-trays, fibre pots, fertiliser, lawn-sand, glyphosate and other unpopular (to organic enthusiasts) chemicals. But the joy, exercise and fresh-air that few hundred quid brings is priceless
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 19:13 by mumofstig »

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 18:46 »
I agree totally. I think my gardens and veg plots cost me about £300 a year for seed, plug-plants, compost, seed-trays, fibre pots, fertiliser, lawn-sand, glyphosate and other unpopular (to organic zealots) chemicals. But the joy, exercise and fresh-air that few hundred quid brings is priceless

Hmm organic zealots, not sure I like that so can’t click like for your whole post.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

rowlandwells

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 20:14 »
I love to hear from committed gardeners your replies are all very true could rite it better myself and whatever the cost it what we  all like doing

its very difficult to put a price on something you like doing and enjoy at the same time I wouldn't like to tell you what we spent last year taking into account we bought a new roavator we could have had a very good holiday or two on what was spent on  gardening  :D :D :D

xx
greenhouse cost?

Started by liamsmum on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 22:26
by srush
xx
Counting the cost of winter

Started by Casey76 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2012, 23:30
by GrannieAnnie
xx
yet another gardening dilemma

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post August 20, 2007, 12:57
by chrissie B
xx
gardening with the moon

Started by catllar on General Gardening

47 Replies
Last post May 10, 2009, 23:07
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 46 queries.