Do I Need more Lillies and Dahlias??

• 45 Replies

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Do I Need more Lillies and Dahlias??
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 14:32 »
Oh dear! The Sarah Raven catalogue has made me weak at the knees.....and of course the 20% off will help a bit. Even Mr Sunny said the dahlias looked gorgeous.

I'll hold out for a day or two just to give me time to think where they can actually be planted, as we do have a few ...quite a few.... already  :lol: :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Stewarty

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 22:11 »
Interested to see that Sarah Raven recommends leaving tubers in the ground, covered by a deep mulch. It's what I've been doing for years, but I was thinking that I was lucky to get away with it (mostly)....

I had decided last autumn that I wouldn't be getting any new dahlias this year  -   it was so much work to keep up with the literally thousands of blooms right through until the late first frost. But my favourite supplier's catalogue arrived (Halls of Heddon) and I ended up ordering another 8 or 10. After all, the harsher winter so far may be leading to losses! Now the Sarah Raven catalogue has arrived, and I fear I may be tempted to a few more   -   though she is a bit more expensive than Halls.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 09:24 »
I think the skill of the SR catalogue is putting the dahlias in groups where the colours go well together, with a a florist's eye, if you like.
The Halls list has some lovely flowers but for me, it's hard to carry colour/shape in your head from one page to the next to make any choices  :dry:

jaydig

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 11:32 »
'HELP!!!" I'm  just one click away from ordering more dahlias!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 11:34 »
'HELP!!!" I'm  just one click away from ordering more dahlias!

I would help, but are you really sure you want to be stopped  :lol:

jaydig

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2018, 11:36 »
Thanks, New Shoot - I'll take that as permission to justify the "click".  I've just spent the last twenty minutes trying to convince myself that I don't really want them - but I DO.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2018, 11:42 »
Thanks, New Shoot - I'll take that as permission to justify the "click".  I've just spent the last twenty minutes trying to convince myself that I don't really want them - but I DO.

If you want them, treat yourself  :D  If anyone complains, just say I made you do it  ;)  :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2018, 15:27 »

If you want them, treat yourself  :D  If anyone complains, just say I made you do it  ;)  :lol:
Aha! That's just the encouragement I needed. Trouble is, it is not only dahlias that have caught my eye.  Euphorbia Diamond Frost is a real favourite of ours and I was going to attempt cuttings, but the chance to buy five more is too good to miss, and with 20% off, almost rude not to, plus then there are the salvias to underplant the roses... you know how these things go  :lol: :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2018, 18:41 »
Well - I've spent most of the afternoon looking at dahlias and have ordered some - but from
https://www.peternyssen.com/our-shop/spring-planting/dahlias.html

Individual tubers of Otto's Thrill, Thomas Eddison, Teesbrook Audry and Gallery Art Nouveau - to make a pinky/lilac mix and Cornel Brons which should work with the café au lait dahlias I bought last year.

Plus a Belle de Barmera will I hope works with both the pinks and the peaches - but it's pretty anyway  :lol:

£17.45 including the postage for 6 tubers :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 18:42 by mumofstig »

jaydig

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2018, 20:33 »
Oh, dear!   It was really difficult, but I managed to stop myself from ordering everything I liked.  If I had done I would have needed a bigger allotment and a dozen more vases for the house.
I can't wait until they're all in bloom, and looking fantastic.  When you consider what a simple bunch of flowers costs they are very good value, and they make the house look so nice, don't they?
I also love having enough flowers to be able to give bunches to other people because it seems to give them so much pleasure, particularly when it's someone you don't know. I've often approached someone who maybe looked sad or lonely when I've walked back through the local park and asked them to be kind enough to take some flowers off my hands because I don't have enough vases at home, and it's great to think you've put a smile on someone's face, and maybe brightened their day a little.

snowdrops

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2018, 21:15 »
Jay dig that’s a lovely thing to do😊
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

jaydig

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2018, 10:13 »
Thanks, Snowy, but it costs nothing and gives so much pleasure.  I believe that small kindnesses make everyone's life a little better.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2018, 10:20 »
Thanks, Snowy, but it costs nothing and gives so much pleasure.  I believe that small kindnesses make everyone's life a little better.

They certainly do  :D :D :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2018, 10:59 »
Well - I've spent most of the afternoon looking at dahlias and have ordered some - but from
https://www.peternyssen.com/our-shop/spring-planting/dahlias.html

I'm a fan of them as well.  Great value for bulbs and tubers of all kinds  :D

Trouble is , that like Sunny, I am also led astray by the other attractions on offer.  I bought some flower seeds last year as she had some unusual stuff.  The little long stemmed pink was lovely.  Sarah likes the long stems for cutting.  I liked the way they wove through other plants.  I also grew some harebell blue aquilegias.  They went out as young plants last autumn and now I am anxiously waiting to see if they come through and flower.

Euphorbia Diamond Frost is a real favourite of ours

Now that is a real little gem  :D  I used to get that in when I was working at the garden centre and it always caused a stir.  Does it overwinter then?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2018, 11:33 »
Euphorbia Diamond Frost is a real favourite of ours

Now that is a real little gem  :D  I used to get that in when I was working at the garden centre and it always caused a stir.  Does it overwinter then?

Yes, if it is somewhere frost free, like our greenhouse, and kept slightly on the dry side  :D

xx
lillies

Started by arland on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 22:25
by Bernard
xx
Lillies

Started by A Reyt Tayty on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post August 20, 2012, 15:38
by Trillium
xx
Lillies

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 21:26
by Hey Jude
xx
Lillies.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post April 28, 2012, 19:09
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 51 queries.