Celery blight

• 1 Replies

John Holland

Celery blight
« on: December 31, 2017, 09:32 »
Hello- for the last couple of years my celery (self-blanching and winter) and celeriac have been pathetic due to some kind of leaf blight- just as they are getting big, leaves start to whitherand storks wilt. The plants don't die, but celery sticks rot before they get big enough, and celeriac 'bulbs' remain tiny.
I assume that it's some kind of fungal infection- plants were grown in completely different parts of the plot from previous years, and different plants sown at different times, but still all succumb to this horror.
Does anyone have any advice about how I might avoid it this year, as at the moment it feels like I'm now unable to grow my two favourite veg.

Mr Dog

Re: Celery blight
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 12:22 »
Hello- for the last couple of years my celery (self-blanching and winter) and celeriac have been pathetic due to some kind of leaf blight- just as they are getting big, leaves start to whitherand storks wilt. The plants don't die, but celery sticks rot before they get big enough, and celeriac 'bulbs' remain tiny.
I assume that it's some kind of fungal infection- plants were grown in completely different parts of the plot from previous years, and different plants sown at different times, but still all succumb to this horror.
Does anyone have any advice about how I might avoid it this year, as at the moment it feels like I'm now unable to grow my two favourite veg.

Celeriac can suffer from septoria which affects the leaves. As celery is essentially the same plant I assume that it can suffer too. Usually with celeriac the roots have already swelled when the disease strikes in October. Some varieties are supposedly more immune than others.

xx
Normal cutting celery v Parcel celery

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 18, 2022, 10:26
by Snow
xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
celery

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 15:01
by Flump
xx
Celery

Started by sawnee on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 27, 2008, 21:16
by gobs

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 34 queries.