turkey was off, the ending.

• 40 Replies

LILLILEAF

turkey was off, the ending.
« on: December 26, 2017, 09:12 »
We picked up our fresh turkey on saturday,a nice 14lbs,cost £26.00,we don't usually spend that much on a dinner but as it was Christmas we did.
The turkey went in the fridge as soon as we got home.
We got the bird out chrstmas morning took it out of its bag and boy did it smell awfull off it was,so we decided to cook it anyway,when it was cooked we tasted the small bit,it seemed ok,but we did not want it so the animals can have it dogs and the cat.
I cannot say how disappointed we were :(my question is can i claim my money back? or just put it down to very back luck.
So we shall be having egg and chips nice fresh eggs from our own hens,now i know they are fresh.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 09:47 by mumofstig »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Turkey was off
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 09:37 »
If it was wrapped in plastic shrink-wrap it may well have smelt horrible when you took it out, but it would be unlikely to be "off". Ours was the same but I wiped it down, put lots of aromatic herbs in and around it, including sliced satsumas and it was pretty good, and smelt fine when it was cooking We have never bought a supermarket-chilled bird like this before but were suddenly "hosting" Christmas Dinner and it seemed the best option

I can see why you might have been unsure about eating it... we put the wrapper in the outside bin, well wrapped up, to get it out of the kitchen pronto

If you have the bar code from the wrapper, it would be worth while taking the mater further as that smell is truly repulsive
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 10:28 »
The first time I ever cooked a turkey I took the wrapper off and got the same sort of smell. I rang my mum and she told me not to worry as she's always found the same. Give it a wipe then carry on as normal.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 10:57 »
It’s a natural smell from it being bagged up, sometimes fresh,well hung meat has a sweet smell(as does blood). It will be fine I wouldn’t waste it on your animals
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

LILLILEAF

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 11:48 »
The turkey was a fresh bought one wrapped in a plastic bag,the bag was not bad,but the smell was on the turkey in the cavity and the end of the drumsticks,we did wash it well,sadly the smell was still there not nice at all,after that both of us were not looking forward to our dinner.
We shall be having a simple supper to night egg and chips,the spuds are grown by us and the eggs are from my hens :).

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 14:11 »
I'd discuss it with the shop where you bought it but don't go in all guns blazing - depends if you use them often I suppose. Anyway,see what they say.

You should have given us a shout - Cara cooked Christmas dinner but seems to have planned on catering for the entire village! We didn't use half of the bird between 4 adults, 1 child carnivore and 4 moggies :)

Anyway hope you had good time so far despite that problem
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Elaine G

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 20:10 »
You should check out the news pages Lillileaf, there are lots of complaints about turkeys that have gone off from one particular well known supermarket.

Then go and complain  :ohmy:

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 21:35 »
You should check out the news pages Lillileaf, there are lots of complaints about turkeys that have gone off from one particular well known supermarket.

Then go and complain  :ohmy:

Elaine
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/dec/26/tesco-apologises-after-customers-complain-of-rancid-rotten-turkeys

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 01:10 »
Well at least it's a turkey and not horse...

jaydig

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 08:28 »
On the news this morning that Tesco is being investigated ref this complaint.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 17:26 »
ITV Link to Tesco Chickens

Not very confident with attaching links but I hope this has worked!

EDIT
The link was posted correctly but the forum software 'corrected' the lower case C in Christmas in the link so it didn't work. I've worked round it - John
ManicMum

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 17:57 »
Amazingly - last year Tesco turkeys were not what you might expect either (unless you like your meat green!!!)

ITV link to 2016 Christmas Turkey Problem

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 19:14 »
With all the issues Tesco keep having with their food quality, I still can't understand how they're our country's largest retailer.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 20:10 »
They are the easiest supermarket for me to get to, and their delivery service is useful for heavy stuff - as I have no car. I feel their tinned and packaged stuff is the same quality as everybody else's, luckily I just try to avoid their meat/poultry  ::)

LILLILEAF

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 09:21 »
The turkey we bought was not from a super market,we bought it from a large butchers shop,we had a turkey from there last year it was excellent.
But they do not rear them they just buy them in,according to there order book,and looking at the very lagre sheet they had of orders on the wall there was plenty of them,i know they may not all be turkey's.
I shall call in tomorrow with all my paper work in hand and the bar code label off the smelly packaging,this is in a sealed bad so no germs can get out, will see what they have to say on the matter!.Lillileaf

xx
is it turkey for Christmas ?

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

26 Replies
Last post December 16, 2022, 10:58
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 51 queries.