food waste

• 18 Replies

chrissie B

food waste
« on: December 10, 2017, 12:44 »
Watching the telly we are faced with programmes  telling us how much food we are wasting , in my house there is very little waste and to prove it jan 1st im keeping a diary just tosee what our waste is in 1 year to satisfy myself im not adding to this mountain myself.
i also think there is alot of waste in the packaging of items specially this time of year companys need to rethink the packaging , every thing is made to look bigger and better only to lead to dissapointment even when we bought our bungalow and were looking around , they use special camera lenses lenses now we saw one with a lovley long drive and when we saw it very dissapointed with the sizes  all exagerated
Chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Goosegirl

Re: food waste
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 13:48 »
My OH is a trained chef and was brought up not to waste anything, so he is very good at making lovely meals out of left-overs but his experience has given him the knowledge of what's the best to keep food so you can use it later on for another meal. To do this, it's important to keep the fridge at the right temperature and know how to store items so they are safe to use later in the week. He makes stock from the bones of either a joint of meat or a chicken carcass that goes into making a casserole or a broth. Every week he plans what dinners we'll have and varies the menu as to what he has in the fridge, freezer, or maybe we'll just have eggs, beans and chips for a change. All the peelings go into a compost bin along with any uncooked items, veg leaves go to the geese and hens, and any remainders go on the fire.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 15:20 »
A friend once told me that she throws away such a lot of food at Christmas.
She lamented on throwing away a whole ham untouched.
I did not like to say that I thought this was barmy behaviour as she had had to work to get the money to buy that food.
Might just as well throw the money in the bin and save the extra work of buying stuff to throw away.

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 18:04 »
I don't think I waste much but if you class the odd stale bun or crust that either the hens or dogs get..
or the odd tomato  that goes in the compost...

I do think it is terrible a whole ham being thrown. lots of things can be frozen for use again or used for other recipes with a bit of imagination and time.
I suppose that is what a lot of us are short of.

chrissie B

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 18:12 »
Ive got a nice book to start on jan 1st, i bake Christmas eve and have stuff in the freezer that can be used at the drop of a hat , i cook something every day but some times beans egg and chips just hits the spot specially at this time of year with all the stuff we get through
chrissie b

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 19:31 »
Bacon and tomatoes is my thing just now.

Elaine G

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 23:15 »
When OH and I were both working we did tend to muddle through day to day, often having a takeaway because we did not have food or were too tired to cook, so I do have some sympathy (not for a whole ham though).

OH still works occasionally but I have not worked for a year, so extra time and lack of cash have meant strict meal planning is the order of the day.

The only thing we regularly throw out is a green pepper - which we both hate - as its cheaper to buy a pack of 3 than 2 individual ones  :lol: Daughter does the same, we can't find anyone that eats them!
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 00:01 »
When OH and I were both working we did tend to muddle through day to day, often having a takeaway because we did not have food or were too tired to cook, so I do have some sympathy (not for a whole ham though).

OH still works occasionally but I have not worked for a year, so extra time and lack of cash have meant strict meal planning is the order of the day.

The only thing we regularly throw out is a green pepper - which we both hate - as its cheaper to buy a pack of 3 than 2 individual ones  :lol: Daughter does the same, we can't find anyone that eats them!

Green pepper and apple chutney! Never waste a pepper :)

Christine

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 08:05 »
Perhaps some people have never hit hard times and had to stretch a penny to do the work of 2.

oldgrunge

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 08:32 »
My OH is a trained chef and was brought up not to waste anything, so he is very good at making lovely meals out of left-overs but his experience has given him the knowledge of what's the best to keep food so you can use it later on for another meal. To do this, it's important to keep the fridge at the right temperature and know how to store items so they are safe to use later in the week. He makes stock from the bones of either a joint of meat or a chicken carcass that goes into making a casserole or a broth. Every week he plans what dinners we'll have and varies the menu as to what he has in the fridge, freezer, or maybe we'll just have eggs, beans and chips for a change. All the peelings go into a compost bin along with any uncooked items, veg leaves go to the geese and hens, and any remainders go on the fire.
We do the same. My wife makes a menu for the week, which mean we eat sensibly, and can plan our food shop. All uncooked veg waste goes to the compost, so only bones, skin etc go in the food recycling.
As to packaging, that's where most of our plastic waste comes from. Why do we buy things like bananas in plastic bags?
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

al78

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 10:49 »
Food is cheap in the UK. When something is cheap and abundant people don't value it, so think nothing of throwing excess away rather than simply not buying so much in the first place.

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 16:22 »

Green pepper and apple chutney! Never waste a pepper :)

I too don’t really like the green pepper & delight when you can get red,yellow & orange as the three, but I do use it, usually in a stew or casserole, or I chop it up & freeze it for later on for those type dishes but I’d be interested in that recipe if you’re prepared to share it please
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

rowlandwells

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 18:18 »
its impossible to believe how much food is wasted daily its criminal when we see children in parts of the world dying of starvation how did we get to such a food wasting nation when around 70 years ago  we where still struggling with ration books we seem nowadays to be a nation of ready meals and takeaways maybe it the lifestyle we lead these days

there's very little food waste in our house the council food waste bin is hardly ever used only bones and what's the point of growing fresh to put it in the waste bin that's why we freeze all our surplus veg like I suspect most of our friends do on this site and all the veg trimmings go into the compost bins
not forgetting years ago mother never  had the money to spend on food like we do today and had to make a meal for there growing family out of cheep cuts of meat  to keep there bellies full no food waste in there house always clean plates  pies made form preserves collected from the garden

as for the packaging there where no pre packed food in those days much less packaging to throw away and no poly plastics  threatening the sea life 

I just wonder how many schools have food on there curriculum to teach the new generation how to cook and prepare food and tell students where and how food is grown ask the question where dose you potatoes come from student Tesco of cause

I must say I don't know the answer to wasting food perhaps people need educating on this subject  :unsure:

jaydig

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 18:58 »
I try not to waste anything, and if our council bin was only emptied once every two months, it would still be half empty.  Bones only go in it after they have been boiled for stock. Leftover mash is frozen to make fish cakes, or potato cakes. Any veg that is unlikely to keep for much longer is made into soups. Not one scrap of meat or chicken is ever wasted because, although I don't eat meat my husband does, so I cook it for him. The only thing I ever insist on is that no meat is ever left on a plate, and every scrap remaining is frozen to use in pies or casseroles. An animal died to provide that meat, and the very least we can do is respect that and never throw any away.  Leftover over greens make lovely bubble and squeak, and stale bread is either made into breadcrumbs or used for bread and butter pudding.  Often the meals made from 'leftovers' are nicer than the meals they came from.

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 19:44 »
I don't think food is cheap.
a big part of my wages goes on grocery's for the family.

clip
Food waste

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post October 20, 2021, 16:50
by jezza
xx
NHS Waste.

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post August 21, 2020, 19:48
by wighty
xx
No waste in the NHS.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post January 08, 2022, 10:50
by hasbeans
xx
Soap waste

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post November 09, 2023, 11:04
by Hortic

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 50 queries.