Seed packet labelling

• 8 Replies

jcbuz1970

Seed packet labelling
« on: December 06, 2017, 18:57 »
I've been reading about different seed types and the pro's n con's of different types i.e. F1, F2, heirlooms, heritage, OP etc, seems to be a lot of debate about what's best, some of it quite passionate.
What's your opinion/preference, do some of you save seeds regardless of its heritage ?
And probably a daft question but if it doesn't state on my seed packet what type it is can I presume it's OP ?
Confused  :wacko:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Seed packet labelling
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 19:12 »
Heirloom or heritage should be open polinated, as these are seeds that have been saved by gardeners for generations.

Most F1 seeds are labelled as such.  They are expensive to produce so the F1 makes them seem more like they are worth the cost.  F2 are sometimes labelled as such, sometimes not.  You can save seed from either, but you can't be sure what you will get. 

Then you also have issues with stuff that cross pollinates easily, so won't come true unless you takes steps to isolate them. 

There is loads of info on this site about seed saving, plus they champion and supply OP varieties. 

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/

All types of seeds have their uses.  F1s can supply large uniform crops, but sometimes it is all ready at the same time.  Great for farmers, not so much for home growers, but you can sow at intervals to get round this.  As a card carrying member of the seedaholic club on here,  I don't turn my nose up at any of them  :D

jcbuz1970

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 19:33 »
Cheers New Shoot, pretty much what I've read and watched unless it's a USA reviewer, they seem very passionate about GM seeds but I don't think that's an issue for the home grower buying small quantities, yet !!
I'll check that site tomorrow so tyvm for that.
Still confused about seed packets which don't state the type ?
It may be that they only highlight hybrids because of uniform strong production, good for sales, heirlooms etc that you can save seeds from aren't advertised on the packets because it affects sales ??? Or is that me being cynical ?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 19:44 »
I save bean seeds, tomatoes, peppers and chilies on a regular basis as these are easy to do.  I have saved cucumber seeds as well in the past.

A lot are quite time consuming because you have to leave them in the ground to flower and set seeds.  Some are just difficult to keep true like sweetcorn, which is wind pollinated.  Squashes need the flowers pollinated by hand, then bagged to keep other pollen out.

If you scroll down to the page of each veg type on that site, they explain what needs doing for what.  You might find that cuts your list down of ones you want to try quite a bit  ;)

jcbuz1970

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 20:02 »
Thanks New Shoot, you're a star. Looking forward to the weekend to read up on all this.
I'll let the wife get rid of the nettles this weekend while I educate us 😉😉

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 20:14 »
I'll let the wife get rid of the nettles this weekend while I educate us 😉😉

Good luck with that plan  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 23:00 »
You are right if they don't say it is F1 then it is open pollinated.
In America they seem to prefer OP (open pollinated) so they can save seed.
I agree with you in being cynical, because some seed suppliers have started listing some varieties as F1 when they've been sold as OP for years. If you see a variety you fancy, always look at other suppliers to confirm one way or the other (as well as to get the cheapest of course  :lol: )

In this country no-one is allowed to sell GM seed, so at least we don't have to worry about that  :D

Like New shoot there are all sorts in my seed box, especially F1 brassicas that are bred to be club-root resistant and F1 leeks that are rust-resistant, as I get both of them here. So anything that helps is a bonus..

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 10:08 »
I'm pleased to see I'm not the only seedaholic I usually buy non pictorial seed packets although there are quite a few seed I usually buy enough for two year sowings its very rare I buy O/P or[ open pollinated seed] all our seed bought are F1 varieties having said that I usually buy many packets of seed both veg and flower at the end of the season when the garden centres are selling seep packets of could resist buying £50 seed a seedaholic or what  :D

the reason being as said by a previous they all normally mature at the same time so better for harvesting and freezing for us

Dev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 05:26 »
Interesting thread. The Real Seed company are very good at encouraging seed saving. If you think about it - gardeners in Victorian times and earlier had to save their own seed as they didn't have the internet and didn't have the money to buy new seeds, so they developed their own strains - which we now call Heritage seeds. I save peas, beans, tomatoes (not Sungold unfortunately as its F1) kale and parsnips. I think I will try lettuce this year as well. Some - like carrots - are more difficult as you need to keep a fair number isolated to ensure they pollinate true, and I'd rather eat them!

xx
Which flower seeds will I only have to buy one packet of?

Started by GYO Girl on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post September 19, 2014, 15:19
by pigguns
xx
help with seed id

Started by Spana on General Gardening

49 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 18:46
by iggyboy
xx
Cut flowers (not from seed)

Started by Truffle on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post June 05, 2018, 18:08
by snowdrops
xx
Turf or seed

Started by mickeyboy on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post October 13, 2011, 14:09
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 35 queries.