chrysanthemum's

• 8 Replies

rowlandwells

chrysanthemum's
« on: October 25, 2017, 14:34 »
is it me or have chrysanthemum's gone out of fashion because it seems as though chrysanthemums plants are quite expensive these days

I know we stopped growing chrysanthemum's for cut flowers some years ago and i can't think why we stopped growing them but there must have been a reason

we used to buy quite a few cuttings get them rooted in sand pot on then plant them out on the allotments  for cut flowers they where lovely many colours really looked the picture on the allotment

does anyone still grow chrysanthemum's for cutting and does anyone know the best place to get chrysanthemum cuttings

spadework

Re: chrysanthemum's
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 15:15 »
I use Chrysanthemums Direct.

http://www.chrysanthemumsdirect.co.uk/index.html

Mainly late singles/ single sprays for november flowers to follow the asters. :)

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 18:23 »
I was thinking the same, my grandad always gave me bronze coloured chrysanths for my birthday in mid November, this was about 50 years back, and I'd love to grow them now. Most places only sell the spray types now. I did an internet search and found Chrysanthemums Direct, so am going to give them a go.

JimB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 19:45 »

I grow about 12 plants in the allotment as my wife looks after the decorations in our church,if it was not for her I would't be bothered as they are a pain, this year I was careless with staking them and they flopped all over the place!

The originals came from Chrys Direct some years ago, cost about £25 for 10 as far as I remember!
STOP, and smell the roses!

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 20:14 »
I grow a row in the veg garden supposedly to cut for the house, but always end up smiling when I see the colour in the plot and end up leaving them there.

Stewarty

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 23:49 »
I grow dahlias and chrysanthemums on the allotment. Most of them were sourced from Halls of Heddon (in Heddon on the Wall, near Newcastle).  I used to dig out the tubers and store them over winter, and do root cuttings in the spring. But in recent years I've left them in the ground, mulching them with horse poo or wood chippings.

Rather to my surprise, most of the dahlias have survived, but all of the chrysanthemums have perished. I think of chrysanthemums as being hardier  -  the frost doesn't destroy them quite so instantaneously. But I'm guessing that it's the damp that has wiped them out.

I still have, I think, 17 surviving dahlia plants. Between them this year they must have produced thousands of blooms, and are still at it as we enter the last week of October.  Once we've filled the house from a car boot full of dahlias twice a week, others go on to a table in the lane outside our house, with a scribbled invitation for people to choose 3 for a pound. So far nearly £300 in coins has come through our letter box this year, which goes to pay for the allotment rents and lots of seeds and stuff for next year....

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 09:01 »
This was covered on tv recently  :D
The plants of the national collection of truly hardy, old fashioned types of Hardy Chrysanthemum are grown on three allotments  :D  http://www.gardenchrysanthemums.org.uk/index.html

Places to buy http://www.gardenchrysanthemums.org.uk/_buy_plants.html

A good selection online to order for next year here
https://www.woottensplants.com/product-category/plantlist/chrysanthemum/

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 09:05 by mumofstig »

willbara

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 10:48 »
have grown chrysanths on my allotment for many years and always take my own cuttings.
when i need to update or get a new variety i turn to either chrysanthemums direct or woolmans.
i have found that marshalls seeds do good bargains with their collections of chrysanths.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 12:09 »
I bought my small chrysanth plants as a collection from Parkers... they all flowered this year and looked amazing.

Hoping they survive the Winter outside
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 12:10 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Chrysanthemum help.

Started by Elaine G on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post August 04, 2020, 15:50
by Elaine G
xx
Chrysanthemum

Started by Elaine G on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post May 04, 2011, 00:33
by Paul Plots
xx
chrysanthemum growing

Started by sizer247 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post November 01, 2011, 11:26
by TerryB
xx
Chrysanthemum cuttings

Started by rugbymad40 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 12:20
by adal

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 35 queries.