I'm convinced my chicken is dying! PLEASE HELP

• 9 Replies

ezlingling

I'm convinced my chicken is dying! PLEASE HELP
« on: October 07, 2017, 01:53 »
Hello everyone,
My name is Erin, I've had my chickens for 1 week and am already totally obsessed and in love! The have settled in well I think. My question is in regard to poop. I have been looking through all the photos on here, I think they are "normal" but one she passed this morning has scared me a little.  They started off thick with shape (if that makes sense) but Wisspers have become a bit watery. Today she passed this very watery urate? one. I'm very worried something is wrong, am I being crazy?!?!? Is this normal?? They have been free ranging for the past 2 days and I have introduced them to fresh vegetables so is it an upset tummy from that? She is fine in herself, eating, drinking, not lethargic, not fluffed up, etc.  The other chickens poop seem fine. They are nearly 21 weeks old, I'm unsure of breed, the lady said commercial layers, they were vaccinated and wormed before we got them. Any advice would be helpful as I'm learning as I go. Thank you.
IMG_4742.JPG
IMG_4741.JPG

ghost61

Re: I'm convinced my chicken is dying! PLEASE HELP
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 05:44 »
I don't think your hen is dying.  Mine do a watery poo when they've eaten lettuce or cucumber.  That's probably what's happened.  You can get really worked up if the poo doesn't seem right, but as long as the hen is eating and moving around then everything's fine.  If she stands around with her tail down and hunched up then that's the time to worry.  Take care.

LILLILEAF

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 06:59 »
Hi
Your hen seems fine by what you are saying,did you ask the seller what wormer she used?.
If any of my hens do a dropping like this i will give them apple cider vinegar,its great for settling the digestive system,you can buy it from most feed merchants or online.
I use 10ml per 1 litre of water,any more than that it will put them off drinking there water,they will have this in the water for 1 week at a time.
Try not to worry to much enjoy your hens they are great stress busters ;)Lillileaf

Mr R Design

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 08:09 »
Nothing wrong with it mine have been doing that sort now and then for years

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 08:27 »
Don't open if you haven't had your breakfast yet, but here is a link to the poo guide here on the forum  ;)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.msg215714#msg215714

ezlingling

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 09:19 »
Hi
Your hen seems fine by what you are saying,did you ask the seller what wormer she used?.
If any of my hens do a dropping like this i will give them apple cider vinegar,its great for settling the digestive system,you can buy it from most feed merchants or online.
I use 10ml per 1 litre of water,any more than that it will put them off drinking there water,they will have this in the water for 1 week at a time.
Try not to worry to much enjoy your hens they are great stress busters ;)Lillileaf

Thank you so much. They were wormed before she got them but she did say to make sure I got one from a vet clinic and gave me a vet clinic to get in contact with for a complete wormer.  I did read about apple cider vinegar so I will keep that in mind for next time. :)

ezlingling

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 09:22 »
Don't open if you haven't had your breakfast yet, but here is a link to the poo guide here on the forum  ;)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.msg215714#msg215714

Haha, well this was the problem! I was looking through these and saw one that looked similar that said something about kidney problems, so that's when I started freaking out. But yes there is a very broad range of "normal". I'm just paranoid of something happening to them. 

ezlingling

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 09:24 »
I don't think your hen is dying.  Mine do a watery poo when they've eaten lettuce or cucumber.  That's probably what's happened.  You can get really worked up if the poo doesn't seem right, but as long as the hen is eating and moving around then everything's fine.  If she stands around with her tail down and hunched up then that's the time to worry.  Take care.

Yeah, she had been eating cucumber. Thank you for reassuring me. I've never had chickens before so everything is so new to me. :)

ezlingling

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 09:27 »
Nothing wrong with it mine have been doing that sort now and then for years

Thanks, that's a weight of my shoulders!

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 11:37 »
Do make sure that the apple cider vinegar you use is unpasteurised. The pasteurised will not have the desired affect  :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Dying Chicken PLEASE HELP

Started by chloe on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post February 21, 2011, 06:45
by emotion-2003
xx
dying chicken

Started by kittyb on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 09:15
by Carla
xx
Dying chicken

Started by themagicaltoad1 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 25, 2013, 14:43
by sneezer
xx
Dying Chickens

Started by New Hampshire lover on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 05, 2009, 20:33
by Vember

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 37 queries.