keeping fuchsias overwinter

• 13 Replies

rowlandwells

keeping fuchsias overwinter
« on: September 26, 2017, 20:02 »
its getting time to think about putting some of our plants in the tunnel or greenhouse to overwinter and I'm thinking about our fuchsias so what in your opinions is the best way to keep your fuchsias overwinter

I have in the past cut our fuchsias back and put them in a tray of compost keeping them on the dry side till spring then water them to make them shoot I have to say we have lost some so I'm interested to hear how you would recommend keeping fuchsias overwinter

and advise on this topic much appreciated  :unsure:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: keeping fuchsias overwinter
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 20:48 »
I overwinter mine in pots in the greenhouse. When it turns properly cold, I cover them with a couple of layers of fleece and a sheet of polythene over that. I've only lost 1 in the last 4 years, but suppose we haven't had a proper freeze during that time

oldgrunge

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 19:26 »
I do pretty much the same as MOS, I don't prune them back until the spring. Lose more to vine weevil than frost!
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 08:45 »
I take a brutal approach, cutting top growth back by a third and roots by about half. Re-potting into almost dry compost and   keeping inside, covered with two layers of fleece when it is really cold.

This reduces the space they take up as well as the number of fallen leaves there are to deal with too. I make sure further leaves are cleared up as they fall to reduce disease and keep the compost barely moist until I see tiny green leaf buds, when it is gradually increased

Seems to work alright as mainly they come through and make good sized plants for the next season
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 09:02 »
I take a brutal approach, cutting top growth back by a third and roots by about half. Re-potting into almost dry compost and   keeping inside, covered with two layers of fleece when it is really cold.

This reduces the space they take up as well as the number of fallen leaves there are to deal with too. I make sure further leaves are cleared up as they fall to reduce disease and keep the compost barely moist until I see tiny green leaf buds, when it is gradually increased

Seems to work alright as mainly they come through and make good sized plants for the next season
That's how I do it to! Watch out for vine weevil ......what a pest!😤

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 12:29 »

That's how I do it to! Watch out for vine weevil ......what a pest!😤

I always search through the roots but do sometimes miss one or two... and what damage they can do. Same with begonia tubers
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 12:31 by sunshineband »

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 06:50 »
You will have to excuse my ignorance as this is the first year I have had a garden and grown flowers rather than an allotment!

I have a a lot of established fuchsias in the garden - some big bushes and one almost like a small patio tree in shape and size. I assumed they would be OK over the winter? What do I do with them as I don't have a greenhouse

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 07:43 »
You will have to excuse my ignorance as this is the first year I have had a garden and grown flowers rather than an allotment!

I have a a lot of established fuchsias in the garden - some big bushes and one almost like a small patio tree in shape and size. I assumed they would be OK over the winter? What do I do with them as I don't have a greenhouse

If they were there when you bought the house I would assume they are the hardy ones, usually smaller flowers than the tender ones, but there are exceptions.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

oldgrunge

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 10:37 »
If they've been ok out in the garden for a while, them they're probably hardy ones. I leave my hardy fuchsias alone until spring, and then cut them back.

rowlandwells

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 17:42 »
thanks all for all your replies that been duly noted RW

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 07:07 »

If they were there when you bought the house I would assume they are the hardy ones, usually smaller flowers than the tender ones, but there are exceptions.

The flowers are smaller so that makes sense! If you have an unknown in a pot or as a gift is this how you generally tell the difference?

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 16:31 »

The flowers are smaller so that makes sense! If you have an unknown in a pot or as a gift is this how you generally tell the difference?

It wouldn't be a reliable way, if you really haven't room to bring it in I'd take some cuttings & bring those in & then keep the one in the pot in as sheltered a place as possible, in pots plants are more prone to getting frosted as their roots are more vulnerable

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 20:47 »
Thanks snowdrops. The 'tree' one is about 1.5m tall so it will have to take its chances as will the huge bush ones. The others in big pots I will drag round to the most sheltered part of the garden and put some fleece round or something.

muckyboots

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 18:41 »
Hi,I agree with taking cuttings not only with fuchsias but with all the plants I don't want to lose.I also take cuttings of new purchases as a safety precaution.Good luck.

xx
keeping fuchsias and Geraniums overwinter

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post November 09, 2021, 18:28
by wighty
xx
fuchsias

Started by rowlandwells on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post September 17, 2018, 18:40
by Growster...
xx
Fuchsias

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post July 13, 2011, 08:01
by lazydog
xx
Fuchsias

Started by Phoenix on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post April 11, 2006, 19:47
by flowerofshona

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 36 queries.