cost of insect mesh

• 16 Replies

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
cost of insect mesh
« on: July 12, 2017, 09:35 »
With more and more tiny pests like allium leaf miner, lee moth etc, I have decided to grow more crops under what is often called enviromesh or veggie mesh. Although it lasts for years if you look after it, it does need quite some financial layout in the first place, so I have been looking around at costs

I know usually I am keen to buy local, or at least British, but on this occasion I have been tempted away across the seas to... Hong Kong

I have just bought a piece 1m by 2.6m for £30 less than the next closest British competitor, with free p&p. It arrived in just over two weeks. This gives me enough to cover both leek beds through until the Autumn, and then use it for onion sets next Spring.

I felt some of you might be interested... search in Amazon for insect mesh and there are lots to choose from, billed as UV stable too
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

snowdrops

Re: cost of insect mesh
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 17:35 »
Not sure how that compares but gardening naturally had got 25% off all their netting a couple of weeks ago. Wish I'd taken up the offer as I've now decided to replace the debris netting next year on the brassica cage as I still get white fly in there. I will keep your place in mind Sunny & also GN for if they have another sale
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

sarajane

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 17:52 »
I bought some Agralan envoiromesh from e bay. 4.5 mtr x 2,1mtr. £14'99 with free postage. I would have paid double that however to keep the dreaded leek moth at bay.

It feels to be good quality too.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 18:22 »
My original environmesh was from Agralan & it's well over 25 years old

sarajane

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 19:18 »
I'm tempted to invest in some more for brassicas for next year.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 21:13 »
I think 'Debris netting' may not be as robust as some others, Sunny.

I used to try carrots under a load of scaffolding net, and while they grew well, they weren't easy and looked thick, so we stopped.

Might be an idea to check with a builders merchant on grades, as I have a suspicion that there may be some corners cut to meet minimum building requirements (cheaper), but this stuff may just well work against carrot fly etc...

Just an observation  mind you...

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 22:07 »
wilko have some price at 12.00. I am watching in the hope it will go to half price! you never know?

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 10:51 »
wilko have some price at 12.00. I am watching in the hope it will go to half price! you never know?
Can't find it have you got a link?
Good chance of sale they often have them. But my local has not had a seed sale yet.

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 10:56 »
With more and more tiny pests like allium leaf miner, lee moth etc, I have decided to grow more crops under what is often called enviromesh or veggie mesh. Although it lasts for years if you look after it, it does need quite some financial layout in the first place, so I have been looking around at costs

I know usually I am keen to buy local, or at least British, but on this occasion I have been tempted away across the seas to... Hong Kong

I have just bought a piece 1m by 2.6m for £30 less than the next closest British competitor, with free p&p. It arrived in just over two weeks. This gives me enough to cover both leek beds through until the Autumn, and then use it for onion sets next Spring.

I felt some of you might be interested... search in Amazon for insect mesh and there are lots to choose from, billed as UV stable too
I am afraid there are some things that I would never buy from the Chinese. Basically any thing that if it is going to fail it will not be soon. There are to many con merchants in China. If I buy enviro mesh it will be from UK company which I can take it back to..... If I don't loose the receipt!!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 10:59 by cc »

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 19:40 »
sorry cc I am not clever enough to know how to add links.
my local still hasn't reduced the mesh. nor seeds for that matter.
have bought a kneeling pad for a £1.
lots of planting pots and hanging basket reduced to

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 10:07 »

I am afraid there are some things that I would never buy from the Chinese. Basically any thing that if it is going to fail it will not be soon. There are to many con merchants in China. If I buy enviro mesh it will be from UK company which I can take it back to..... If I don't loose the receipt!!

I can only speak from experience, and on this occasion it seems that what you see is what you get. I made the original post in that light. Everyone makes up their own mind about what they buy and where they buy it from. That's life  :D

cc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 21:55 »

I can only speak from experience, and on this occasion it seems that what you see is what you get. I made the original post in that light. Everyone makes up their own mind about what they buy and where they buy it from. That's life  :D
Opps sorry

compostqueen

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 15:28 »
The wilko stuff is good!

I don't drink or smoke so enviromesh is my only vice 😎

8doubles

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 15:47 »

I think there is a zero missing somewhere in the meterage , or it costs a lot and you have tiny leek beds ! :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 18:12 »

I think there is a zero missing somewhere in the meterage , or it costs a lot and you have tiny leek beds ! :)

I only grow miniatures 🤷

No, it was a mistake, sorry. I did mean 10m by 2.6m really. Thank you 8doubles  :D

xx
fine insect netting half price

Started by mumofstig on Frugal Living

5 Replies
Last post April 28, 2011, 20:36
by Yorkie
xx
carrot mesh

Started by Jeanieblue on Frugal Living

5 Replies
Last post April 22, 2007, 17:19
by purplebat
xx
NET CLOCHES cost alot!!

Started by jazzbyrd on Frugal Living

6 Replies
Last post May 28, 2008, 17:52
by muntjac
xx
building a sturdy but cost effective fence

Started by hammers07 on Frugal Living

12 Replies
Last post June 20, 2012, 21:05
by angelavdavis

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 31 queries.