COMPOSTING MATERIALS

• 20 Replies

TREGRAHOW

COMPOSTING MATERIALS
« on: March 30, 2017, 19:36 »
I have access to large amounts of dry, almost powdered, pure horse manure (no straw, feed, weeds, soil etc...), from an indoor horse walker. So far I've taken over 30 plastic 100l dustbins full down to my plot. I'll cover it until I can mix it with some browns. I also have access to large amounts of sawdust from untreated pine planks. Can I simply mix them at a sensible ratio and hopefully get compost? These materials; especially the manure, seemed simply too good to refuse. Please tell me I'm not wasting my time and effort.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: COMPOSTING MATERIALS
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 19:52 »
You are not wasting your time or effort!

I have never had "powdered" horse manure, but usually mixed with straw and bedding, then rotted down before use.

Using that model, adding sawdust to the dry manure, soaking it well and covering to rot off the sawdust should produce useful compost. If you have greens such as kitchen waste, soft green weeds or lawn mowings it would be even better
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

TREGRAHOW

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 08:37 »
The horse walker consists of two different sized circular steel cages one inside the other. Indoors, there is no moisture and whilst being exercised the horses do what comes naturally so four steel shoes per horse soon break the "cobs" down, hence the "powdered" manure.

I have a garden gate leading directly onto a park where I collect grass clippings as and when I need after the tractor mower has been around. I also collect about 4 or 5cwt of fallen leaves which I tackle with my petrol mower. So I should be sorted for compost shouldn't I? All I need now is the knowledge to combine this glut of materials then perhaps I will be.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 09:05 »
The horse walker consists of two different sized circular steel cages one inside the other. Indoors, there is no moisture and whilst being exercised the horses do what comes naturally so four steel shoes per horse soon break the "cobs" down, hence the "powdered" manure.

I have a garden gate leading directly onto a park where I collect grass clippings as and when I need after the tractor mower has been around. I also collect about 4 or 5cwt of fallen leaves which I tackle with my petrol mower. So I should be sorted for compost shouldn't I? All I need now is the knowledge to combine this glut of materials then perhaps I will be.

All suggestions gratefully received.
WOW! Lucky you is all I can say.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 11:54 »
Either just mix it all up together & water well or add 1 shallow layer after another, scrumpled up paper, card, all your fruit & veg peelings all add to the mix & in next to no time you'll have what is known as black gold.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

TREGRAHOW

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 14:07 »
I like that. All I need now is the energy to do the work. Most YouTube clips seem to suggest I have to turn the mix thoroughly at fairly frequent intervals. My lower back will dictate how often that happens. Thanks so far and please continue to let me have your ideas. They are much appreciated.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 14:26 »
I'm not one for turning compost, mixed at the start, or layered as you go -  left to its own devices it will still rot  by the time you want to use it.

grinling

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 14:58 »
it takes nitrogen to break down sawdust. I have had fresh manure about a year ago and that has shrunk by half, so will go on this year.

I would mix with the grass and leave, but keep an eye out for rats which like it warm

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 16:06 »
I turn mine as & when I've got the energy, inclination or time. Sometimes like mum it just sits. The beauty of having 3 or more bins side by side is you can use 1 bin to fill, then gradually move the contents along until it is finished, you can add fresh manure at the time of turning to help kick start the process again or not depends if you have any. It all happens with or without your help just takes longer

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 16:47 »
I turn mine as & when I've got the energy, inclination or time. Sometimes like mum it just sits. The beauty of having 3 or more bins side by side is you can use 1 bin to fill, then gradually move the contents along until it is finished, you can add fresh manure at the time of turning to help kick start the process again or not depends if you have any. It all happens with or without your help just takes longer
I do likewise but have no hard and fast rules

TREGRAHOW

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 14:24 »
I have three boxes/bins each 4' x 4' x 4' but, they have all been topped up by the huge amount of manure I was able to get. I'm thinking my best bet now is to dig a few shallow, grave-sized trenches and after a thick layer of old newspapers in the bottom spread thin layers of manure, sawdust, shredded vegetable scraps, shredded leaves and shredded newspaper until the mound is about three feet high. Perhaps then I'll cover with black porous material made for laying under woodchip paths. The more I write this the better it sounds. I think the ideas I've been given so far will produce a result.

One final rush of blood to the head is to layer the spent stalks of flowers from a local florist into the mound in order to leave air gaps and prevent the layers from merging into a soggy mess.

Any more thoughts you have will still be considered. I'm here to learn. Thanks so far.

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 17:53 »
Look at lasagne beds on google or on here, very much what you are suggesting, I do a simple version for my squashes each year & an even simpler one for my brassicas. The squash bed becomes the potato bed the next year with more manure if I can get it

Aled

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 11:11 »
My compost bin is full of grass clippings at the moment, I have access to plenty of horse manure, so after reading this l'll get a barrow full and add in to the mix.
Cheers
Aled

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 12:47 »
My compost bin is full of grass clippings at the moment, I have access to plenty of horse manure, so after reading this l'll get a barrow full and add in to the mix.
Cheers
Aled

I find shredded paper useful to mix with grass clippings ... stops it becoming soggy

Aled

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 13:55 »
Thanks for that I've got a shredder here in my office and i'll empty it now.
Cheers
Aled

xx
Scavenging materials?

Started by Windsong on Frugal Living

5 Replies
Last post April 02, 2011, 17:31
by nipper31
xx
Get composting

Started by Christine on Frugal Living

8 Replies
Last post August 23, 2008, 22:53
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Composting Newbee - Gluts of Somethings & Not much else

Started by duckling on Frugal Living

14 Replies
Last post January 31, 2009, 17:13
by mrsdirtyboots

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 37 queries.