Norfolk Biffins?

• 4 Replies

DanielCoffey

Norfolk Biffins?
« on: January 29, 2017, 18:53 »
Do any of you have an actual recipe for (or remember a relative talking about) the apple treat called a Norfolk Biffin?

According to my Google-Fu, the Biffin was a 19th century apple snack that used the Norfolk Beefing apple variety. it was very slow roasted whole in a cooling bread oven to make use of the residual heat. The best blog I can find about them is this... https://pryorfrancis.wordpress.com/2014/03/07/norfolk-biffins-or-beefings/

The reason I am asking is that my local Farmers market turned up a box of Norfolk Beefing cooking apples and I grabbed a load for crumbles, went home and looked them up to see what type of apple they were. They are large, hard, thick-skinned late cookers that are supposed to store very well.

After reading the above blog, my curiosity was piqued and I took two of them, put them on a wire tray and popped them in a low 90C conventional oven for 18 hours to see what happened. After a couple of hours they were fragrant, evenly light brown and glossy. After ten hours they were mid-brown, wrinkled a little and somewhat soft but still pretty wet. I put a small plate on the top of them to help press the cooked innards against the skin to help with water loss. At 18 hours I needed the oven for something else so took them out and allowed them to cool. They were a little sticky where juice had leaked, had dark brown skins, were melting soft inside and the flesh had turned to a caramel colour. It came away from the remnants of the core very easily and was very aromatic and naturally sweet.

I am interested in finding out how far off an official "biffin" I was and would value opinions on what you think of the process. Any reminiscences? Any actual recipes?

Featherstone

Re: Norfolk Biffins?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 16:40 »
http://www.cooksinfo.com/norfolk-biffin-cakes. Norfolk Beefing are one of the longest storing apples but the variety is often confused with a few others.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 21:11 »
Thanks for looking but sadly there are no actual recipe instructions on that page. It seems that almost all references are just quotes taken from Wikipedia.

Eighteen hours at 90C does yield a fruit that would be suitable for a desert but is too wet to be considered preserved or portable.

I found today that the Norfolk Beefing apple is a good candidate for an ordinary fruit crumble. It holds its shape well because, since they have only just been picked, they are pretty hard and dry. I would suspect that stored fruits in a month or so would be softer.

I would describe the raw fruit as hard, crisp and with a non-waxy skin. A small piece chewed releases a little juice that is sharp without being sour but leaves a lot of dry material left to chew which is not pleasant. After cooking however it softens very nicely and has an aromatic flavour which definitely came across in both the crumble and the attempt I made at the Biffin.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 07:29 »
Well you learn something new every day!  My husband and I are Norfolk born and resident and have never heard of the apple variety or the cooking method......  I suppose the recipe Biffin is probably Beefing said with a Norfolk accent.

One source of information might be Gressenhall Farm and Workhouse Museum (sorry, I always get links wrong so I have stopped trying) who have an orchard with old East Anglian apple varieties and hold an Apple Day every October.
ManicMum

DanielCoffey

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 07:53 »
Thank you for the pointers to those two sites - I will go have a browse later.

I have to say the crumble was delicious and it was nice that the apples were non-waxy when peeling.

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 36 queries.