What's for tea? 2017

• 994 Replies

lettice

Re: What's for tea? 2017
« Reply #450 on: May 28, 2017, 10:15 »
Have a large shoulder of lamb.
Picked rosemary to sprinkle over the top.
Picked a bucket load of mint, love chopping it up! Some today for mint sauce and have made three jarfuls for using over the winter months and frozen a load for Raita etc.
Pulled a few of the first season turnips, purple milan, grown in a raised bed. Look lovely.
Some Maris from the potato shed.
Bought swede, carrots and broccoli.

Have some local strawberries, well a shoe box full picked by a neighbour as I helped him get a large desk up to his loft study yesterday, nice thankyou. So that with some double cream drizzled over for desert and to much through the rest of the day.

madcat

« Reply #451 on: May 28, 2017, 11:00 »
Cold chicken (from yesterday)  with coleslaw and rye bread rolls for us.  I'm on a keep it simple day as it is still hot and I have a lot to do!

(Lunch with be pasta salad with sorrel sauce as the dressing, so I'm not keeping it that simple!)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #452 on: May 28, 2017, 20:51 »
Egg and bacon pie, wedges and hm coleslaw   :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #453 on: May 28, 2017, 22:22 »
Spicy chicken left over from yesterday with salad and a jacket spud

madcat

« Reply #454 on: May 29, 2017, 09:06 »
Going to be chicken casserole with the leftover chicken, the cooking liquid less its fat and whatever veggies I can find.  Rice with I think.  I'm really not inspired today.

lettice

« Reply #455 on: May 29, 2017, 14:43 »
We were planning to have a barbie today with some friends and their families staying over for a few days.
But all stuck indoors on this miserable dull and rainy day, so just had a good kitchen fun with the leftover lamb and some willing helpers.

Seekh kebabs
Aubergine stuffed with brie, tomato and lamb.
Broccoli Pakoras
Rogan Josh
Kofta curry
Dopiaza curry
Sag Aloo with some rain picked spinach :)
Spinach ricotta paneers
Made some Paratha and Naan
Homemade Yogurt dips, homemade raita and a Lidl spicy mango chutney.
Sitting ready also a basmati rice and a pilau rice of peas and sweetcorn.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #456 on: May 31, 2017, 13:38 »
Luckily I was already planning a curry fest tonight.  Lettice's menu for Monday has set curry munchies off in a fairly substantial way :lol:

Mine is not so elaborate, but we are having Tamil Nadu mince, dhal, a side salad of cucumber, tomato and onion, plus some rice and lassi  :)

madcat

« Reply #457 on: May 31, 2017, 15:11 »
The CBA fairy is firmly in residence here at the moment, so last night I got the grill out and did potato cakes (from the freezer) with duck eggs, mushrooms, a tomato and baked beans on the side (which I managed to burn slightly! Doh!! ::) I do miss the microwave...)  Actually it was very good ....

Tonight I will get myself moving enough to make Nigel Slater's Mushroom Bolognese, probably with tagliatelle. 

lettice

« Reply #458 on: May 31, 2017, 15:59 »
The CBA fairy is firmly in residence here at the moment

What on earth is one of those.

Just picked a load of lettuce and radish for a salad.
Not long till when we can add our own cucumbers and tomatoes to a salad, but for now its shop bought.
A nice cottage loaf and some cheeses and deli meat mixture to go with.

madcat

« Reply #459 on: May 31, 2017, 16:58 »
The CBA fairy is firmly in residence here at the moment
What on earth is one of those.

When CBA fairy is visiting, you get the feeling that you just Can't Be Ar*ed - put politely so I don't get sent to the naughty step!  ::)  Happens at the end of a long day/shift, or just because ....  :unsure:  In my case today it is spreadsheet overload.   >:(

madcat

« Reply #460 on: June 02, 2017, 10:55 »
Yesterday I found a half price pack of beef mince and one of pork mince in the reduced section at the Co-op.  So ... there is a meatball recipe that I wanted to try and I had all the other ingredients so I could do a batch for the evening and the rest would be really convenient to have in the freezer .... and while I am at it, we are out of flapjack and I could make some brownies with the left over egg whites from the ice cream .....
What was I thinking!!!  :ohmy:  ::) Hot ...  I ended up finishing the meatballs after 11pm on the theory it would be cooler for cooking them off.  Moved from frying a la the recipe and baked them in the oven but still.  Mad.  :wacko:

But they are good although if I do them again I will up the spice level.  I served the first batch with pasta and tomato and chilli sauce from the freezer.  And there are 4 more batches boxed and frozen for another day.

Tonight will be simpler as we are planting out the leeks today.  There is hm chicken stock in the fridge and mushrooms - risotto I think.

lettice

« Reply #461 on: June 02, 2017, 15:16 »
25c here at the mo and looks like staying around that all evening.
We will be grilling some plaice fillets and fresh picked asparagus outside on the barbie and will put some of our stored large sarpo potatoes to bake wrapped on the charcoal.
Was donated a load of watercress so will mix up with some of our salad leaves from around the garden.

Bought some cheap cones, so will use with some of the frozen rhubarb ice cream we made a while back.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #462 on: June 02, 2017, 15:23 »
Chilli sauce on a salmon fillet with coleslaw, salad and steamed new HG potatoes  :)

lettice

« Reply #463 on: June 03, 2017, 09:30 »
Just rummaged the top of the potato pots and bags and have 4lb of Internation Kidney (Jersey) first earlies. That is the first potatoes of the season.
Also pulled up some lovely looking purple milan turnips.
Some will be used to go with a mince casserole for lunch along with a spring cabbage from a neighbour as an exchange for some of those potatoes.

For tea, a lasagne using our last years crop of frozen tomato paste and our frozen spinach.

madcat

« Reply #464 on: June 03, 2017, 10:17 »
Depends how the day goes.  I've got some sausages out the freezer and picked up some pittas at Aldi this morning.  If it stays hot - bbq sausages with veg spikes and pittas.  If not I'll roast them with veggies and add couscous on the side.

Aldi was heaving at just passed eight this morning - full of ladies of a certain age (me included) going "I got here early before it gets hot/the kids arrive/to get ready for etc" and all of us assuming it would be quick and quiet.  Noooo.....    ::)  The odd older man in for his paper or young one (v fit!) in for stuff for lunch was well out of place  :D

xx
What's the weather like where you are? (2017)

Started by Paul Plots on Chatting on the Plot

540 Replies
Last post December 29, 2017, 12:44
by JayG
xx
Birdwatch 2017

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

38 Replies
Last post December 21, 2017, 18:03
by rowlandwells
xx
Fishing Season 2017

Started by Aled on Chatting on the Plot

130 Replies
Last post December 31, 2017, 22:03
by Offwego
xx
Ashes 2017 - 2018

Started by Tenhens on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post December 14, 2017, 20:29
by Tenhens

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 37 queries.