celiac disease

• 4 Replies

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
celiac disease
« on: October 29, 2016, 13:30 »
Hi Guy & gals,

Recently my young has been dianoised with celiac disease, my wife and I have been doing a lot of reserch into it. 
I was wondering if any of you wonderful people know of or have this disease and have any recipes that would be good to try.

Thanks

dan
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

snowdrops

Re: celiac disease
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 13:57 »
Hi there, I know a bit about it, colleague  at work has it & 2 sisters in law & nephew. It is very important to be very strict about cross contamination of chopping boards,toasters etc, no double dipping in the butter or margarine with the same knife etc. Recipes, lots on the Internet, or try substituting gluten free flours for ordinary in favourite recipes. Cakes etc are better if extra moisture included ie fruits,apples etc.  You need to insist on a dietician appointment & get flours, breads on prescription.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Chrysalis

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 17:49 »
Hi.  Sorry to hear about the diagnosis, but don't panic!  My sister and partner both have it and catering is relly easy these days.

All supermarkets have free from sections and if you join coeliac uk you can get an app for your phone which scans the barcodes on items and tells you the ingredients and whether they are safe or not. Cool!
  Coeliac UK also send magazines and a yearly book of products.

Some GP services allow you to order food on prescription, but not all do.  As there is so much gluten free stuff available in shops, it's not so crucial these days.

For the early stages of diagnosis it's really important to not cross-contaminate, as Snowdrops has said.  Over time, as the villi improve their life in the gut, accidental contamination will not have such a big affect, but best to keep clean and separate food stuffs. 

I never have real flour or pasta in the house and can't tell the difference with the latter now! There are loads of GF products in the general supermarket aisles, so it pays to hunt around. 

Happy shopping!  Make an adventure of it and let the kids find the food.  All gluten containing ingredients must, by law, be highlighted on the back of the packet!

Good luck and hope your little one feels better soon.

Chrysalis

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 18:56 »
If you put "coeliac" into the search box on this site, there are quite a few threads that may help you  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

LILLILEAF

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 07:52 »
I have celiac disease,i have managed for the last 20yrs,what i found when shopping in the early days read and read again the labels on all your shopping,back then there was no help, so if i had a reaction i would keep notes and never eat that type of food again,it took about 5yrs to work out what was good and bad for me.I can eat 1 slice of normal bread aweek :(.but i do eat plenty of fruit and veg meat and fish all good stuff.
Do join celiac's uk they are very helpful good luck .Lillileaf

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 35 queries.