Tons of Limestone chippings on an allotment? Alternative paths

• 23 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
I used spare bricks to weight the edges of my paths down - partly because I had them, and also because I wasn't sure that the fabric wouldn't rip if I put pegs through it.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snow white

Outer edges are pinned down every metre or so.  Joins are just overlapped and pegged down.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Out of interest, what do you use to pin the edges down, snow white?

snowdrops

It's a good idea to melt the cut edges or they fray in the wind, stuff gets everywhere then & tries to leg you up without provocation 🙄
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Knoll

Thanks,

Yorkie, probably those black plastic pegs you can get made for the job. They look effective too from what I have seen on various allotment diaries.

Thanks Snowdrops, I had read people saying cutting with a soldering iron was a good idea! Not very easy on the allotment but I can try a quick blowtorch wave!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
probably those black plastic pegs
Some of those bent in half when I tried to hammer them in - that's what the clay soil can be like in summer here  ::)

snow white

I use both plastic peg (used in wet ground - will never come out) and metal U shape peg (which is best for hard ground and for moving membrane frequently.)The metal peg does less damage to the membrane but can rise up.  I found I had to cut the membrane a little to enable the plastic peg to go through properly.  The metal pegs just go through the membrane easily.  Plastic pegs are cheaper. 

Have I confused you yet? ::)

nb: I have heavy clay soil.

Knoll

I have ordered a bit more membrane to ensure I have enough for the area and a couple of hundred of those plastic pegs! I seemed to be blessed with easy to work soil at the moment! I may use the excess pegs for pegging down sheets of card as weed suppressant in the beds before they get filled!

Its been a harsh day shovelling, attempting to level out the land, well not level but flatten it somewhat!

Trikidiki

Thanks Snowdrops, I had read people saying cutting with a soldering iron was a good idea! Not very easy on the allotment but I can try a quick blowtorch wave!

I use a gas soldering iron to cut it on the allotment. I bought it in Aldi a few years back. They had them in stock again last week for about £15. Also works well for melting air holes in lemonade bottle mini-cloches.

xx
Alternative products for laying for patio or paths?

Started by buckstar555 on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post March 03, 2009, 18:41
by celjaci
xx
allotment paths

Started by muntjac on Design and Construction

16 Replies
Last post March 31, 2011, 10:54
by Ma Lowe
xx
GREENHOUSE ALTERNATIVE

Started by suziet88 on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post January 04, 2010, 13:12
by redfour
xx
Alternative material for polytunnel covering?

Started by Amilo on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post February 04, 2013, 13:20
by JayG

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 35 queries.