Candle Heater as seen on you tube

• 12 Replies

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
Candle Heater as seen on you tube
« on: January 18, 2016, 15:58 »
Where do you source the fat for the 24 hour candles?       I know that you can use a candle in the centre which makes it easier to situate the wick in the centre but where can you get enough wax/fat to pack round the candle?
Do you really need al that lettuce/

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
Re: Candle Heater as seen on you tube
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 16:06 »
trex apparently best

Trikidiki

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 20:06 »
Has anyone done a 'cost analysis' of using these '24 hour candles'? I was thinking about trying them but Trex seems like an expensive fuel to use, at £3+/kilo.

I was thinking of using old chip oil which you can buy for 29p/litre, or even blag it for free from the local chippie.

This article shows a way to make a lamp. http://www.judyofthewoods.net/diy/lamp.html

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 09:47 »
I think you'd need to check that the fat used burns without giving off black smoke or you'll end up with a real mess.

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 10:16 »
Thanks for the replies has anyone used these?      If yes then how long did they actually burn?

Trikidiki

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 14:41 »
I think you'd need to check that the fat used burns without giving off black smoke or you'll end up with a real mess.

According to the article the oil gives off black smoke when heated to its 'smoke point' but doesn't when it burns. The same would be true of Trex which does give off acrid smoke when heated (I know as I have used it to make cast iron non-stick) but appears to be ok in  24-hour candles. Even parafin will smoke if not burnt with a clean and properly adjusted wick.

For the price differential, it has got to be worth investigating if you are planning to use this method of heating.

m1ckz

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 18:28 »
hi   i was a chippy  lol   an yes it would give off black smoke when burning  and fumes

Ivor Backache

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 19:09 »
I had to look this up and thought afterwards what a messy way. Have you thought of an electric light bulb in a biscuit tin with lid on? I don't think the 100watt is available but the 60 and 40 are. A lot cleaner and it does take the chill off.

Trikidiki

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 19:59 »
I had to look this up and thought afterwards what a messy way. Have you thought of an electric light bulb in a biscuit tin with lid on? I don't think the 100watt is available but the 60 and 40 are. A lot cleaner and it does take the chill off.

Needs a rather long lead to reach the allotment. ;)

hi   i was a chippy  lol   an yes it would give off black smoke when burning  and fumes

I'd imagine a large quantity burning with limited oxygen would produce smoke like most combustible products if they don't get enough. A small flame with a plentiful supply of oxygen may not.

Time for another experiment.

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 11:40 »
The Allotment is circa 2 miles from my house and 100 yards from any power source so the Lamp/light bulb isn't possible.    This is me following up on then you tube method of taking the chill off a normally unheated greenhouse as the candle/fat burner heats up the two clay pots and acts as a 350/400 watt heater.     Just not sure about the source/cost of the main fuel for this.

Trikidiki

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 13:08 »
   This is me following up on then you tube method of taking the chill off a normally unheated greenhouse as the candle/fat burner heats up the two clay pots and acts as a 350/400 watt heater.     Just not sure about the source/cost of the main fuel for this.

The fat is Trex which costs approxmately £3/kilo (roughly a litre). The candle probably take about 1/3 - 1/2 a litre depending on size.

If a 1/3 litre candle last approx 24 hours it will cost approx. £1/day. Plus the cost of the candle, maybe 10p.

Using old cooking oil (as per the article I linked to) costing approx. 30p/litre cost would be 10p/day assuming an equivalent burn time.

Whether or not it would smoke too much has yet to be ascertained.

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 17:34 »
I made one of these once, and it really does work too!

Don't know about the costs these days though...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2492549/Video-reveals-heat-home-using-just-TEALIGHTS-FLOWERPOTS--costs-just-8p-day.html

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2016, 08:57 »
356dXGRCvPA
I watched this yesterday and Dave claims his candle lasts for 100 hours, how true is this, I have no idea, cheers Dave NE
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

xx
vivarium heater mat - propagator heater?

Started by jonny_tinslecat on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 23:40
by GillyHen
xx
Tube connection

Started by Rangerkris on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post April 05, 2009, 08:47
by shaun
xx
How to connect 4 steel tube together

Started by Rangerkris on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post March 12, 2011, 11:50
by Rangerkris

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 36 queries.