Bread the stuff of life

• 527 Replies

chrissie B

Re: Bread the stuff of life
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2015, 14:18 »
Compostqueen the spelt bread sounds good i presume you could do with the white bread flour ,allinsons being mine of choice.
ive just tweeked my loaf ditching the butter and 1/3of the sugar and made 2 smaller loafs they are out now and look good will see what the flavours like later.
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

chrissie B

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 11:26 »
My latest effort .
chrissie b
My loaf-1.jpg

compostqueen

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 15:26 »
Cor, that's a good un!  You eaten it yet  :tongue2:

Spelt is great cos it takes less kneading. Treat it as wholemeal flour, which it is. It comes together easier and it tastes wonderful

I made a couple of seeded wholemeal loaves this week using organic fresh yeast and a bit of black treacle  :)

chrissie B

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 16:31 »
Yes its all gone but made freash today , love bread but eat too much i usually have to freeze half a loaf so it wont go off but since ive been making my own none of it has gone off it goes from freash to toast then bread crumbs if any left so no waste
chrissie b

compostqueen

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2015, 22:22 »
If i make bread with honey or golden syrup in it, it makes fab breadcrumbs  :)

Beekissed

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2015, 05:33 »
We don't do store breads here, either.  My mother never did and so I didn't either.  Some years back I was blessed with about 12,  40# tins of red turkey wheat and an electric grinder, and we've been using it ever since.  It was stored back in the 70s  for Y2K and still is so fresh that the bread practically makes itself.  No GMO back then, so this is the real deal wheat. 

We use the same ol' recipe we've been using for years and we like to make it by hand...never have used a machine.  We make large batches of flat rolls that we freeze and thaw out as we need them.

I loved watching my mother bake bread when I was growing up and that feeling of being connected to all the women before me happens each time I knead a ball of dough.  I had my sons all learn how to make bread also and they can do it as well, and sometimes even better, than I can.   

Just made a huge batch yesterday!   :)

chrissie B

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2015, 09:40 »
Lovley story i can see you all round a big table baking away , when i bake you would think there a dozeen of us as i make a lot of messso usually bzke when hubbys out ha ha.
Chrissie b

MrsPea

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2015, 18:27 »
I make our own bread using a machine. We much prefer it, and it's no trouble to do. The benefit is that it can be made to suit you. Even the white flour is unbleached, so no chemicals there. Seeds to your liking can be added, and I also replace the butter with olive oil, although I don't leave out the sugar or salt. The smell of baking bread wafting through the house is lovely, and feels really homely.

Same here I've just made another one today, I also use a machine as I rheumatoid arthritis in my hands so kneading would kill me of  >:( with the pain, we haven't had shop bread for ages, how much olive oil do you use for a medium loaf ??
I Love my green house

chrissie B

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2015, 19:08 »
I just left out the butter and couldn't taste any different i use oil in my pizzas .
chrissie b

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2015, 20:17 »

My Mam told us that you cannot eat bread on the day it's made because you will get indigestion!  I've graduated to seedy bread with 50/50 wholemeal and strong flour soaking the seeds overnight.

Cheers,   Tony. :)
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Beekissed

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2015, 20:31 »
You know what?  She's right...I do tend to get a little heartburn if I eat the freshly baked bread.  Go figure!   :lol:

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2015, 21:45 »

I loved watching my mother bake bread when I was growing up and that feeling of being connected to all the women before me happens each time I knead a ball of dough. 

Funny isn't it, the power these memories we have. My Grandad was the one who made the bread in our family. Something that important couldn't be left to womenfolk! To be fair my Gran was dreadful cook! I was exempt from the general ban as being descended from him negated my unfortunate weakness of being female (he was a man of his generation and it took a lot for him to admit that women have strength / power / value (whatever the word I'm looking for is) too - having 3 daughters and 5 granddaughters did kind of force that point!).

I can however never imagine making bread without kneading it myself. Mainly as it is the main joy of it for me. Every time I do it it brings back wonderful memories of his quiet guidance and contemplation calming an overexcitable child and the joie de vie of an 8 year old invigorating the man who was usually known as Grumpy Grampy!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2015, 21:47 »
PS.

GREATEST joy ever in life is still hot breads with slathering of butter and a sprinkle of salt! I don't get heartburn but if I did would be worth it. :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2015, 22:36 »
PS.

GREATEST joy ever in life is still hot breads with slathering of butter and a sprinkle of salt! I don't get heartburn but if I did would be worth it. :D

Bliss.

I've been having trouble getting a good loaf from my breadmaker (I only make wholemeal).  It kept sinking in the middle, probably over prooved, so I've gone back to hand baking and my loaves are now a lovely shape. 

Warm crunchy crust with butter, what a treat :D 

Beekissed

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2015, 00:24 »
I can however never imagine making bread without kneading it myself. Mainly as it is the main joy of it for me. Every time I do it it brings back wonderful memories of his quiet guidance and contemplation calming an overexcitable child and the joie de vie of an 8 year old invigorating the man who was usually known as Grumpy Grampy!

Same here...it's that rhythmic motion, the tactile sensation of having one's hands in good, springy dough, with the yeasty smell wafting up to meet your memories that I love.  I can just see old hands of the past, covered in flour and performing this age old ritual and I know then that I'm part of that chain that extends back to the beginning of time. 

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 50 queries.