preventing honey fungus

• 7 Replies

Grubbypaws

preventing honey fungus
« on: November 23, 2014, 14:17 »
We have had to cut down a cedar tree which was likely to cause structural damage and are left with a stump. To remove this would be very difficult and costly  :(  I have treated it with glycophosphate but am anxious about getting honey fungus; cedars are prone to it.

Is there anything that I can do to lessen the chance? Would covering it with something to stop the spores getting on to it help or are they just in the soil?

Any tips would be really welcome.

LotuSeed

Re: preventing honey fungus
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 16:49 »
Is there any sign of honey fungus present on your property now? If not I wouldn't worry too much about it, but would keep an eye on it.  (Especially since you said the tree was removed because of structural damage and not because honey fungus had gotten to it). 

If it's already present, it's the rhizomes in the soil that will cause trouble rather than the spores. You could try digging out as much of the topsoil from around the stump and roots as possible. You'd want to dig deep enough (to the sub soil) so that you can get the rhizomes out. Don't compost or reuse and of the soil you dig out though. It will need to be disposed of in such a way as to prevent contamination. (Hot composting might work, but I'm not sure what temp is needed to kill the rhizomes.)  If there there any other plants in the general area of the cedar stump, it might be worth removing the topsoil from around them as well, and replacing it with new dirt.  Mind you this is really labor intensive and probably only necessary if you know that the fungus is active on your site already.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 17:09 by LotuSeed »
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

bendipa

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 22:02 »
Glyphosate isn't much use at this time of year for killing plants as they are dormant and the tree sap needs to be active to absorb it.  July - Oct are the best months to use it. SBK Brushwood Killer is a better choice as it can be used in winter to kill tree stumps.

Your tree roots would be just as much an attraction for honey fungus as  the stump. But if there is no HF lurking in your area then no need to worry unduly since it devours living as well as dead material and so could appear, regardless of chopping down your tree.

When it's dead I would get the stump grinded down which is a cheaper alternative to pulling the whole thing out as it will lessen the chance of fungal attraction, as you can get rid of the resulting sawdust, although most fungi are harmless and only devour deadwood and rot it down then die, unlike HF which moves through the soil looking for any plant to attack.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 22:22 by bendipa »

fatcat1955

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 19:41 »
Drill some 25mm holes with a flat bit into the stump. Fill holes with root out and cover the stump with polythene and secure it. Stump and roots will be killed .

Grubbypaws

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 10:05 »
Bendipa,
 I think that you are wrong about timing. The RHS says 'The best time to apply stump killers is from autumn to winter. Avoid treatment in spring and early summer when the sap is rising ' and 'Applications in the fall are effective as the stump is moving proteins and carbohydrates to the root zone for overwintering, hastening the herbicide reaching the roots to kill the stump and roots'.
 :unsure:

Grubbypaws

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 10:14 »
Drill some 25mm holes with a flat bit into the stump. Fill holes with root out and cover the stump with polythene and secure it. Stump and roots will be killed .

The RHS says 'Stump and root killers currently on the market are those containing glyphosate (e.g. Scotts Roundup Tree Stump & Rootkiller, Bayer Tree Stump Killer, Doff Tree Stump & Tough Weedkiller and William Sinclair Deep Root Ultra Tree Stump & Weedkiller) or triclopyr (Vitax SBK Brushwood Killer)'.

Does root out contain glycophosphate or triclopyr? Which is best for the job and which is least harmful to the planet? I hardly ever use chemicals but have been slightly reassured about using glycophosphate when absolutely necessary as is is broken down on contact with the soil.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 10:52 »
(Amcide) Ammonium Sulphamate  used to be used, see John's info here

http://www.allotment-garden.org/growing/mares-horse-tail-control.php

bendipa

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2014, 18:34 »
Bendipa,
 I think that you are wrong about timing. The RHS says 'The best time to apply stump killers is from autumn to winter. Avoid treatment in spring and early summer when the sap is rising ' and 'Applications in the fall are effective as the stump is moving proteins and carbohydrates to the root zone for overwintering, hastening the herbicide reaching the roots to kill the stump and roots'.
 :unsure:

I am not sure that is correct as far as glyphosate is concerned. Eg if you use glyphosate to spray on leaves of plants the instructions are to use it from May to July while the plant is most actively growing. By winter all plants go dormant, so there's little if any movement of sap, so it makes little sense to use it then.  SBK works in a totally different way in its chemical treatment and is the traditional stump killer being used all year round. It's more toxic to the soil unlike glyphosate. But I stand to be corrected.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 18:43 by bendipa »

xx
Honey Fungus

Started by stickywicket on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post October 08, 2009, 23:42
by viettaclark
xx
Honey fungus help

Started by Flowertot on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post October 31, 2017, 08:00
by New shoot
xx
Fungus

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post November 15, 2018, 05:58
by SherryWright
xx
Fungus I.D.?

Started by DD. on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post August 19, 2009, 19:33
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 35 queries.