Growing > General Gardening

Woodchip compost

(1/2) > >>

GrowinGrowinGone:
The foot paths on my plot I covered in Wood chip, and leaves, to about 8 inches deep approx 18 months ago.  I had noticed for a while how it looks almost like its largely black soil, and when moving the top surface away that it's absolutely loaded with worms big and small.  I have sieved 3 wheel barrow loads full of it and it looks and feels better than anything I have ever purchased in bags, but looks can be deceiving.  I have now put it all around my fruit trees as a kind of mulch.  I know I can get lots more of this from my paths, but the thing I am concerned about is if I was to add it to my raised beds?  I have heard that when wood chip breaks down it uses up a lot of nitrogen?  Without sending some of it off for a soil test I have no idea what it would be like, or if it would have a negative impact on my raised beds?  Any advice would be helpful.

mumofstig:
It only uses nitrogen while it's rotting down - but your has now rotted and it's lovely stuff, all good  :)

Use it wherever you want to.
There was a nice video on here about using it.........I'll try to find it

GrowinGrowinGone:
Thanks for the reply, would be interesting to see the video if you find it :)

mumofstig:
It was back to Eden - it was a bit heavy on religion, but chicken manure and wood chips are what works there.

A link to his FAQs here
http://www.backtoedenfilm.com/faqs.html

GrowinGrowinGone:
Thanks, I have seen the BTE video a few times it's great :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version