My Garden

• 5 Replies

Willow_Warren

My Garden
« on: September 23, 2014, 12:02 »
Well I moved into my house back on June but I haven't really done a lot to the garden (to busy enjoying the weather!).  At the moment there isn't one single flower bed, but lots of gravel areas! (I think the previous owners covered the beds with gravel as I don't think they were very much into gardening.

I have decided to revert at least one of these back to a flower bed.  This is what it looked like when I moved in:

It is the bits where the pots and the pole are which I am converting first.

What I have done is lift and remove the gravel, lift the weed surpressant and then roughly start to dig.  The ground is very compacted under the gravel.  There were a few worm amongst the gravel which I tried to rescue (lol).  This is what it looked like on Sunday, not completly dug over as I ran out of time an energy:

(I was stood in the wrong place so there is a nice shadow of me in the photo).

It's really hard work digging the soil as it's just so compacted (but not that dry), I kind of hoping that the winters frost might do some of the hard work for me.  I've got a bit of compost that I can dig in as well.  Think I might make the bed into more of a curve than a square, so put some grass seeds down where needed.  Am I doing the right thing?  Should I keep working on it and plant up in the autumn or wait until spring?

Now I've started it looks a much larger than I though I have no idea what I'm going to fill it with!!!  I've a few plants I've been bringing on in pots that can go out other wise I'll be looking around the garden centres for a few cheap things or raiding my mothers garden!

Hannah :)

Chrysalis

Re: My Garden
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 22:45 »
What hard work! But great for you to have your own space.  Guard it well Hannah! :)

Love what you're doing there. Could you plant some green manure now to help feed the soil over the Winter?  Are you at all handy with a pick axe?  :nowink:

I'm sure folks will share plants with you.  All you have to do is ask... ;)

Thanks for sharing the pics.
Cx

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 09:29 »
How wonderful to have such a lovely blank canvas to work with......and so big! I have to admit to being a tiny bit jealous.☺️

Willow_Warren

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 11:35 »
I never thought of the green manure idea (as this will be a flower bed rather than a veg bed but I guess it'll work for both).  Shame I didn't think of this whilst at the Wyevale sale (I saw it there!).  Will give it some thought.  I have two bunnies so some of their "raisins" can go on there too...

Don't own a pick axe (just sledge hammer  :lol:).  it is just me and my trusted fork!

The garden is smaller than it looks in the photos, made smaller still as I have my rabbits' large run on the lawn and the chickens' run also.

Looking forward to getting more dug over but have been busy with other things in the evening this week and I've given my shoulder a bit of a rest (had shooting pain in it Monday evening :( )

H :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 11:08 »
Chicken poo will be good as well which will break down over winter, plus discounted compost or gro-bags etc, then dig in mushroom compost in the spring along with some grit to open up the soil unless it is sandy.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

grinling

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 15:05 »
Have a look on freecycle/preloved/gumtree for manure/plants. Put wanted signs upon the sites as well.

xx
My garden

Started by RobbieG83 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post April 14, 2012, 21:50
by Spana
xx
Bee Garden

Started by Nick36 on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 31, 2011, 20:52
by Trillium
xx
A sad garden Day

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post August 12, 2022, 12:36
by mrs bouquet
xx
Very wet garden.

Started by Butterfly on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post March 27, 2008, 18:10
by Leligdowicz

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 35 queries.