plant to grow up house wall

• 13 Replies

andyf75

• Experienced Member
plant to grow up house wall
« on: July 14, 2014, 16:15 »
Hi, would like to grow something up a trellis on the side of the house. South west facing wall. Only have a 30cm strip in which to plant as the rest of the drive is concreted. Would like something perennial ideally, that doesn't get too large.

Any suggestions?

Lardman

Re: plant to grow up house wall
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 17:03 »
I have an akedia quinata which is a little different from the run of the mill (or at least around here it is  :nowink:  ) http://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/747/Akebia-quinata/Details it's mixed in with a semi everygreen late honey suckle to give it a bit more body and end of season interest.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 21:25 »
Make sure there are no sewers  or soakaways close to the place where you want to plant.

The roots will be straight in there and cause problems .

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 21:53 »
I have an akedia quinata which is a little different from the run of the mill (or at least around here it is  :nowink:  ) http://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/747/Akebia-quinata/Details it's mixed in with a semi everygreen late honey suckle to give it a bit more body and end of season interest.

i've just planted 2 of these on the lotty it has a lovely smell and th fruit is said to be very sweet but you need a pollenator
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

andyf75

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 10:59 »
Make sure there are no sewers  or soakaways close to the place where you want to plant.

The roots will be straight in there and cause problems .

well there are sewer pripes within a couple of metres. So something which doesn't have huge roots is going to be best.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 11:50 »
I'm thinking of an evergreen shrub that can be trained to grow upwards such as variegated Euonymus, Pyracantha or Escallonia. As far as I know, their roots aren't widely-spreading but you could always put some sort of barrier just in case. If you have the space, a clematis to twine into it would be nice too.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 21:26 »
Ooh, sorry Gossegirl, I wouldn't go for pyracantha. They can get really big over time and have big, big, nasty thorns.

There is a special gardeners description of these, but I won't write it here or I will get told orf.

I  spent a couple of days this week getting rid of a medium sized pyracantha in my sons garden and my hands, legs and feet  are ripped to shreds, even through  shoes and thick leather gloves. I have even got a scratch on me bum. :( >:( :mad:

Why not try a trachelospermum jasminoides/ star jasmine. Evergreen with white star  flowers with a glorious scent in the summer. It is a climber and doesn't bite back if you need to trim it.

South west facing would be perfick. ;)

andyf75

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 09:47 »
Thanks Mrs bee, star jasmine looks perfect

That 30cm gap I mentioned is actually 15cm. Do you think that will be enough?

Mrs Bee

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 20:42 »
Ahh, 15cm might be pushing it rather.

Could you get a kango and make the hole bigger?

or failing that why not check out Taylors clematis nursery on line and have a look at some of their clematis.

So long as you dig a deep hole and enrich it with compost you should find a clematis to fit the bill.

I have an Avalanche which is an evergreen with frilly leaves and white flowers. There is also a scented evergreen called Fragrant Oberon which takes a little time to establish but is worth the wait. Glorious scent.

The flower in the spring and have covered part of my fences with the most beautiful display this year.

andyf75

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 10:10 »
No, not really an option making the hole bigger so its quite a narrow gap. Maybe I'll stick to clematis then...

Thanks

Dilly Dom

• Experienced Member
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 10:30 »

I also like the akebia quinata and the perfume when the flowers are out is lovely almost like the smell of chocolate.

The only thing I would say is that these plants can grow huge, our one is over 20 foot tall now, haven't the heart to cut it down as it is home to dozens of sparrows.
Dilly
It is better to have nothing to do than to be doing nothing.

Lardman

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 11:24 »
I also like the akebia quinata and the perfume when the flowers are out is lovely almost like the smell of chocolate.

I originally bought for the scent, but I've never been able to smell it  :(  I give mine an annual short back and side and it really responds well it's a mass of purple, velvet flowers in the spring.

bendipa

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 15:52 »
As you have  a trellis in place, I'd look at some climbing roses that don't grow too big and repeat. Good ones are Danse De Feu (red, unscented), Compassion (peach, scented), Gardeners Glory (yellow, scented) and Pink Perpetue (pink. slight scent).

andyf75

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 09:58 »
Thanks, don't have a trellis in place yet but planning to put one up

Thanks, rose or clematis it is

xx
Re: plant 0n house wall

Started by wneva on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post October 02, 2017, 12:38
by mumofstig
xx
Plants to grow in a wall

Started by Torgan on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post May 05, 2012, 22:04
by Growster...
xx
what to grow against a gritsone wall

Started by Grubbypaws on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 22, 2014, 14:52
by Goosegirl
xx
Plant ideas for against a North facing wall

Started by Mrs.Veg on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post February 27, 2007, 21:26
by WG.

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 35 queries.