Growing > Growing FAQs and other Information

Richy's paper pots

(1/10) > >>

richyrich7:
Making paper pots the easy way.

You need a sheet of news paper and an aerosol can with a concave bottom

1) tear your paper sheet in half down the middle.

2) fold in half top to bottom and again,depending on your newspaper you should find it’s about half the length of the can.

3) place the can on the paper so that approx 1/3 of the paper over hangs the bottom

4) roll the paper tightly around the can

5) crush the over hanging paper into the bottom of the can, I then crush it down onto a hard surface.

6) remove paper pot.

You can staple the flap if required and by playing around with the size of the paper you use you can alter the depth of the pot, change the size of the can and you change the diameter of your pot, easy !

Youtube video now added may be of help Paper pot making

richyrich7:
Once they are full of potting medium they sit quite happily but I tend to put them in a tray next to each other anyway, they break up quickly on planting out  unlike peat pots. 

They don't go mushy, I use a cheap seed tray ( with holes ) or even better one of them blue plastic baskets that green grocers use or for loads how about a bread basket.

You can water as normal etc I have found they stand up to normal use esp if they are standing together in trays etc.

Aunt Sally:
Well Rich,  I've made some of your newspaper tubes to grow some broad beans in to fill in the gaps in my over wintered ones.  I think a lot of them rotted in the very wet ground.

I made them nice and deep to give plenty of space for the beans very deep roots.

I wrapped the outside of the paper pots with clingfilm once in the tray (right around the outside), to prevent them drying out too much.  An you can see the roots are coming through the newspaper.  It was so easy to dig a hole with a trowl and drop them into the ground newspaper and all.  Absolutly no root disturbance.

I'll be using this method for other deep rooted plants and things whch don't like root disturbance - Sweetcorn springs to mind.

Many thanks for your great idea Rich  :D

pedro:
if you fold in the top quarter inch or so it stops the flappy bit sticking out and make it a bit stiffer.

sharky:
Paper pots are a very good idea!

Out if interest, how do they stand up to watering and how long should they last before going into the ground?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version