Polycarbonate greenhouse

• 12 Replies

mikegm

Polycarbonate greenhouse
« on: January 15, 2014, 20:26 »
I am presently looking for a greenhouse for my garden. Do not want ordinary horticultural glass....too thin. Toughened is a lot dearer. Can anyone recommend the 'polycarbonate' type?

MalcW

Re: Polycarbonate greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 10:24 »
I've got a traditional aluminium greenhouse glazed with polycarbonate. It's very light, which means the greenhouse needs to be firmly anchored down. Also, the panels are quite flexible, which means that in gales, of which we have many these days, they can bend enough to get unclipped. I've added additional measures such as strategically placed self tapping screws or small bolts to anchor panels in place. I've also drilled the frame to put a retaining wire round the outside about 1/2 way up, so that hopefully any panels that do come adrift won't disappear (they've done this in the past).

Other than that it seems to work well, for me at least.

brianbishop

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 14:00 »
I agrre with malcw .I've had mine for 5yrs now with no particular problems, Just remember to keep doors and windows closed during windy periods.
Bish

mikegm

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 19:02 »
Any problems with the 'amount' of light they let in, ie to help ripen tomatoes etc

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

Muls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 08:22 »
I am looking at this idea now, after a total disaster in the recent storms. I am on a very exposed site so wondering whether just to remove all the panels in the winter, just use it as a spring summer thing ? Any advice from the people that have had them for a few years please?

MalcW

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 12:29 »
In the light of the recent storms I've modified mine a bit. I bought some suitable size lengths of aluminium angle extrusion from a DIY shop and but a bracing section across the centre of each panel. Each strip has a single hole in the middle with a bolt running through to a nut with a large penny washer in the inside. It stops the panels from flexing too much and coming unclipped.
The door kept coming adrift as well, so I drilled through the top of the top track down into the door and just dropped a screw in so it can't open, which stops the wind from getting in. Lastly, I wired the vent shut for good measure.
So far it's all stayed together nicely.

greenhouse.JPG

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 06:57 »
My new plot had a 13' x 10' greehouse frame up but no glass, i used corrugated plastic sheets to cover it. I fixed roofing batons horizontally then screwed the sheets to them, its very sturdy so hopefully will survive any winds.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 06:57 by Sideshoot »

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 17:23 »
i saw one i bnq the other day, wasnt hudge was about 3x6 but they prob do bigger ones. really liked it was but where i live the winds destroy everything :mad:. few years ago it lifted and twisted my aluminum and glass greenhouse that was bolted into stone, it was a mess so i wont be getting another one sadly x

maxyboo

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 19:06 »
I have a polycarb greenhouse and would not recommend it. We are reasonably sheltered but the panels still blow out even with extra clips. I resorted to screwing them in and sealants. We made our own spikes to anchor it down as the ones that came with it were not up to the job. Might be the model I bought is poor compared to others but I am saving for a new glass one next year. Try and see what they look like before buying one so you assess the quality.

barley

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 20:26 »
we built one from second hand conservatory panels - scrap wood and angle irons for anchorage

its been through all the storms in an exposed area and is still standing so really pleased  :D

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 20:04 »
nice job barley! looks good x

cadalot

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 17:47 »
This is a 3 year old B&Q Pelham single skin polycarbonate greenhouse - My brother in law is getting a larger on hand donated this one to me - the temperature difference inside and out is amazing and I've added an automatic vent as it's located on the allotment and I don't want to have to keep visiting to open and shut in warm weather
2014-03-10 (02).jpg

xx
8X6 GREENHOUSE, POLYCARBONATE

Started by Milly on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post January 09, 2011, 21:13
by Milly
xx
Strengthening polycarbonate greenhouse?

Started by Pimento on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post September 08, 2017, 19:45
by Pimento
xx
Just got a greenhouse frame, glass or polycarbonate?

Started by mrs mud on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post February 22, 2012, 22:14
by Caretaker
xx
polycarbonate replacement

Started by lazza on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post October 13, 2013, 14:25
by wbmkk

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 35 queries.