Wood Ash.

• 17 Replies

fatbelly

Wood Ash.
« on: January 14, 2014, 22:44 »
Hi All,
This is my first post of the new year so HNY to all.
I have a wood burner and this winter I have collected some of the wood ash. What crops benefit from its application? When & how should I apply it, just scatter or dig in?
Thanks

99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

compostqueen

Re: Wood Ash.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 22:52 »
Wood ash is said to be good around fruit.  I have a woodburner and don't waste a bit of wood ash. Even if you're pushed for time and just chuck it on the garden it's doing good.  I just rake it in. 

safetrade

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 08:13 »
i mixed some in the soil when i planted my garlic coz i heard it helped to prevent rust on garlic and leeks.

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 08:30 »
High in potash and good for developing fruits . Tomatoe feed is high in potash as well. Best to keep it dry until needed as the nutients wash out of it very quickly. It would be pointless applying to the ground now IMHO. I've got several bags stored in greenhouse ready for next years toms and soft fruit  :D

agapanthus

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 08:36 »
It's brilliant for onions. I mixed some in the soil a few weeks before planting and sprinkle around them once or twice in the growing season.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 09:29 »
Wood ash contains even more calcium than potassium, mostly in the form of oxides and carbonates, so is quite alkaline - avoid using it on ericaceous plants.

Probably best not to use it on spuds either as it will increase the risk of scab.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Aled

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 09:59 »
Interesting advice: Well i've stuck a bit on the vacant plot, and quite a bit has gone into the compost bin. Worms are growing well so it would seem to be OK.
Looking forward to reading others replies.
Cheers
Aled

snow white

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 21:36 »
 :)I put some around onions, carrots, swedes and beetroot.  They grew very well.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 21:42 »
Broad beans love it... Potash helps to prevent the fungal infection, chocolate spot..

This is from an article by John Harrison (owner of the forum)...

Potassium the K in NPK

Potassium has the chemical symbol K from its Latin name kalium. It promotes flower and fruit production and is vital for maintaining growth and helping plants resist disease. It's used in the process of building starches and sugars so is needed in vegetables and fruits. Carrots, parsnips, potatoes, tomatoes and apples all need plenty of potassium to crop well.

Potassium is naturally found in wood ash which is where it its name potash is derived from To recap potash is potassium and vice versa when discussing fertilisers.

Shortage of Potassium in Plants - Symptoms

Plants that are short of potash will have low resistance to disease, scorching of leaves and poor fruit yield. Tomatoes will really show the effects of a shortage of potassium

Application of Potassium

Potash usually last for two or three years in the soil but for vegetable production (tomatoes, potatoes especially) additional will be required. This can be applied as a liquid feed, either commercial or made from comfrey as comfrey tea, for tomatoes or a specially prepared fertiliser, high in potassium for potatoes.

Here is the link to the page.. http://www.allotment-garden.org/compost-fertiliser/npk-fertilizer.php
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

acwid

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 22:05 »
Great post I did not realise I could use it as a liquid feed on more or less everything I grow .

gavinjconway

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 08:45 »
All my neighbours who have patio chimineas save their ash if they only use wood and I spread it on my beds for toms, onions, broadies and strawberries get a dusting as well. I also collect pallets and the larger woody hedge trimmings and add my bad roots I dig out and have a bonfire. I then scrape up the ash and store it.   I have also collected ash from bonfires at guy fawkes time..
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 08:47 by gavinjconway »

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 08:48 »
My  husband has started chucking smokeless fuel onto my log burner fire. It's doing my head in!  Is this grounds for divorce?  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

gavinjconway

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 08:53 »
Yeah CQ - get rid...

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 09:07 »
 :D  He's not got the growing gene so doesn't appreciate this stuff.  It's tragic int it  :lol:

Aled

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 09:44 »
Very interesting responses all.
Cheers
Aled

xx
Blackcurrant bush and pruning the old wood to leave the new wood

Started by zestymordant on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 02, 2012, 20:54
by VegGirl7
xx
Where to use wood ash??

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 03, 2023, 09:12
by Hampshire Hog
xx
wood ash

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 00:01
by Dabhand
xx
Wood ash

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 24, 2012, 23:08
by Dantheman

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 36 queries.