Chainsaw advice on oil please

• 31 Replies

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Chainsaw advice on oil please
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 14:09 »
Hopefully kick back with a pole chainsaw will not be a danger to the operator who should have a firm grip at the other end of the pole !

The problem, as I see it, is the "accidents", rather than the "deliberates" :)

Safety clothing for chainsaws is just insurance ... life insurance at that ...

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 20:21 »
I had to ban my OH from using my chainsaws without PPE. He asked me when it became "my" chainsaw rather than "ours" and the answer was the moment he thought about using it without PPE.

You don't get a second chance with a chainsaw.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Beekissed

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 09:39 »
Found an excellent chainsaw sharpener that's perfect for folks who don't know how to sharpen a chain...it's pretty fool proof and makes the chain sharper than one done on an electric sharpener.  Actually, the chains come out sharper than a new one and last longer in between sharpening.  We were so impressed by this thing that now everyone in the family seems to have gotten one...cuts down on down time on wood cutting days, is fast and easy to do and you really can't mess it up. 

http://www.timberlinesharpener.com/shop/timberline-chainsaw-sharpener

VWe9qJITc8E

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 11:08 »
Looks brilliant :) Looks like it costs almost as much as my chainsaw did!! :(

Beekissed

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2015, 16:01 »
Yep, it's pricy...but if you use your chainsaw a lot and you depend on it as much as we do for heating fuel, you want something that will pay for itself in the long run.  This does.  It saves us time and money, so we consider it as much an investment as the chainsaw itself. 

My dad always did the chainsaw sharpening here but he's now got dementia and in a facility.  Just my 80 yr old mother and I here now and we were never allowed to run the chainsaw much, nor learn how to maintain those, so are on a learning curve now.  Wood still has to be cut and there's no man jumping forward with his hand raised up to volunteer for that job.   ;)  This sharpener is the great equalizer for us women and it cut that learning curve down to nil...we knew how to start a saw, run a saw and how to cut a tree down or cut up a log...but sharpening is a little more fiddly and I know men who have been doing it all their lives and still can't sharpen a chain worth a hoot.

But I can now.    :D   That's worth the money. 

Sparkyrog

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2015, 17:53 »
when running 4 saws as I do ,it is simpler and easier to sharpen by hand lol. BE sure to remember to give each tooth a tap with a bit of wood afterwards  ;)
I cook therefore I grow

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2015, 19:08 »
I'm not very good with mechanical things, just don't have the gene or something. So, found a firm on Ebay who sharpen chains cheaply. I bought a couple of spare chains so return 2 at a time and they sharpen and return. If it's beyond a sharpen, replace. All well and good until son in law demonstrates his skills learned at college on top of the range petrol saws with my cheap electric machine.... as the flames came out of the engine I knew those spare chains were not such a good investment.  :(

I had to ban my OH from using my chainsaws without PPE. He asked me when it became "my" chainsaw rather than "ours" and the answer was the moment he thought about using it without PPE.

You don't get a second chance with a chainsaw.

If you don't have any protective gear, chainsaw in the nude. I guarantee you'll be very, very careful especially working at slightly below waist level!  :ohmy:
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 09:50 »
I got my chainsaw license when I was at collage doing my city and guilds in countryside studies. I have special boots which not only have steel toecaps and steel undersoles like normal safety boots but they also have wadding on the front in the tongue - these had to be ordered in specially because I am only a size 4.5. Chainsaw trousers also have the wadding - this wadding helps to bind the chain up and stop it cutting through to your legs. I have safety gloves, helmet, face protection, ear defenders - the whole works.
The equipment can be very expensive but it can also safe your life. If you aren't prepared to buy this stuff then dont use a chainsaw and get a professional in. 
Staffies are softer than you think.

Beekissed

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 10:27 »
Y'all have to be licensed to use a chainsaw over there?  We don't have that here.  I can honestly say I've never seen anyone wear any of that gear in all my life around wood cutting, nor have I ever worn such things.  Folks just don't suit up like that around here.  Not even the logging crews in these parts, though they do wear hard hats.  I've also never met anyone who got cut by a chainsaw, though I've seen such things on TV shows and such.

I think safety is a good thing, we are mighty careful when using the saws.... but I also feel the most important equipment one can use while operating a chainsaw is that stuff between one's ears.   ;)   

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 10:48 »
Y'all have to be licensed to use a chainsaw over there?

My understanding is that it only applies if you are employed to do chainsaw work, then you have to go on a training course / get a certificate.

So for a home-owner there is no requirement.

I can honestly say I've never seen anyone wear any of that gear in all my life around wood cutting, nor have I ever worn such things

I expect you will find that folk over here find that staggering :)  The safety clothing is readily available here, sold alongside the saws etc. such that unless someone is very poorly off (and then I am doubting they would be buying a chain saw) I think that 99% (or whatever) of people will buy the safety clothing too.

Chainsaw kickbacks not that rare .... accidents are rare ... but brains alone doesn't prevent them :( ... car accidents are rare too, but everyone (with few exceptions) in the UK wears a seatbelt in both the front and back seats in a car.  Its been a while since I visited the USA regularly, but I don't remember seat belts being worn that commonly when i was last there, particularly in back seat.

I even wear a seatbelt when I get in a taxi - its become second nature when in a vehicle and now "feels wrong" if I don't have a belt on. No matter how skilled commercial drivers might be they are still at risk from having someone else's accident.  Same applies to chainsaws in my opinion.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 14:41 »
Getting back on TOPIC ! Yes you do need to use proper chain oil ! ::)

Welsh Merf

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2015, 11:08 »
Yes I know - it's an old topic. However, some recent learning for you:

My nephew has just finished his treatment at East Grinstead Hospital for being a total prat - using a chainsaw with one hand while holding the wood with the other = partly severed thumb. And this happened two days after I told him about the dangers of the machines. He'll listen and inwardly digest the next time, I reckon!

As far as licensing goes, anybody can buy a chainsaw without a licence - unless it is a proper arborist chainsaw, where the trigger handle is at the top of the machine, rather than at the back, in which case you will need to show proof of having been suitably trained.
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2015, 10:07 »
I still reckon the most dangerous time is when you stop being scared and become confident using chainsaws. Same goes for a lot of tools. Son-in-law managed to get his leg the other week with the chainsaw at college. Happily he was wearing the right gear so no injury.

8doubles

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2015, 12:38 »
I still reckon the most dangerous time is when you stop being scared and become confident using chainsaws. Same goes for a lot of tools. Son-in-law managed to get his leg the other week with the chainsaw at college. Happily he was wearing the right gear so no injury.

Very true, i used to work with a few foresters who likened a chainsaw to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

They always get their man !

Beekissed

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2015, 03:16 »
My family have been using chainsaws for 40-50 yrs now, each year to cut our fire wood..a LOT of firewood, and not a single accident...still don't wear any safety gear.  The most valuable tool anyone has is common sense and a healthy respect for things that cut, especially machinery.

I expect if one did it for a living, they'd want to wear gear simply because a person gets careless or in a hurry when they are working on the clock and the law of averages catches up~like driving a car every day, one is more likely to get in an accident.  When just working steadily to get in firewood, there is no rush, no need for careless behavior and one can use machinery wisely.

It could be that those who wear all the safety gear feel more confident in their safety and get more careless because of it?  I would imagine the less protection you wear, the more cautious you would become...imagine cutting wood while naked.  A person would be the most careful of all.   ;)

An accident can happen to anyone, it's true, but it's more likely to happen to those who are not familiar with the equipment or don't practice a healthy respect of it and grow careless.  I know farmers who farmed all their lives and one day roll their tractor over on themselves...just takes that lack of judgement or loss of concentration to have a sad ending.   
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 03:20 by Beekissed »

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 35 queries.