Curled up foot and part paralysis/weak legs

• 3 Replies

chickadee11

Curled up foot and part paralysis/weak legs
« on: July 18, 2013, 10:37 »

I need help again! Not having much luck with 2 of my new chickens.

One has been sick but seems to be getting stronger (see previous post), now another one has got sick.  She was being bullied all the time and when we came back from holiday she had a bald patch on her back one inch wide and about three inches long so I took her out of the flock and put her in with my recovering other chicken.  She was very frightened but I've spent time with her and was getting quite friendly but this morning when I got her out one of her feet was curled up, she did open her foot after trying to stand on it.  Now she can't seem to stand at all and if I pick her up her foot goes into the curled position.
She can move her wings. 
When the other chicken got sick the vet thought it was mareks but treated a respiratory condition and coccidiosis. She seems to be coming through it and is moving around a little, albeit very slowly, and eating a little.
Do any of the experienced chicken keepers have any idea what I can do for the newly sick chicken?  She's not eaten today and is just sat with her eyes shut, doesn't even open them when I talk to her but did open them when I picked her up.
Thanks.
Chick

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Curled up foot and part paralysis/weak legs
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 10:58 »
Sorry but I think a trip to the vets is needed, she does sound really poorly.   :(

Try to get her to have a drink though as she will dehydrate very quickly in this hot weather.  You can add a little honey to boiled water and let it cool for her, it sometimes help with their appetite.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

chickadee11

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 14:14 »
Sadly that's not an option as I don't have access to a car.  My Dad did the 45 mile round trip three times in a week with the other one but he's just been diagnosed with cancer so I can't possibly ask him.  I'll at least try the water and try to keep her cool. 

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 15:19 »
A phone consultation with the vet is an alternative as the vet will know what to ask to rule out certain illnesses/diseases and hopefully be able to give you advice on what to do. 

xx
barred cochin rooster w/weak,trembling legs and looses balance

Started by dshappychicks on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 05:29
by joyfull
xx
Wing paralysis in bantam

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post December 07, 2017, 21:14
by grinling
xx
Weak, underweight hen

Started by Catsmuvva on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 12, 2010, 11:03
by Catsmuvva
xx
weak cockerel

Started by ollies mom on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 18, 2008, 09:16
by Bodger

Page created in 0.205 seconds with 34 queries.