Forsham Arks

• 7 Replies

Prod

Forsham Arks
« on: July 14, 2013, 15:20 »
Ive managed to pick up 3 Forsham Arks for £50, a small, medium and large. They need a small amount of work, nothing major but they would all benefit from new floors. With these coops the perches sit only about an inch above the floor so I was thinking instead of re-flooring them with wood I could use mesh instead and then the waste would go directly onto the ground. Each ark has wheels so I can move them around the field.   Good idea or not??? :wacko:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Forsham Arks
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 15:51 »
Firstly, congratulations on picking up a major bargain  :)  Just give them a really good clean in case they harbour red mite or other nasties  ;)

Mesh sounds a like a good idea, but make sure a mesh floor would not mean draughts.  Shouldn't do if the sides of the ark come right down to the ground, but if there is already a gap at the base for air flow, it could make the coop a bit too draughty  :)

Prod

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 16:08 »
Thanks   I got them from a lady who used to breed quite a lot of poultry but is downsizing.  She must have spent a fortune when she bought them all, they were all numbered..  I got 1, 6 and 23   :D  She creosoted them and they are pretty sound apart from the floors which she said has happened since she has just left them standing. They really just need a good rub down and wood treating.  I didn't really want 3  but I thought they were such a bargain..........  cant say on here what me OH said    :ohmy: :ohmy: :blush: :blush: :blush:

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 21:35 »
You could always sell on what you don't use.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 21:59 »
If you have room for them you can never have too many.   :wub:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 06:24 »
a lot of poultry places have mesh floored arks so any mess can just drop down and fertilize the ground. If the whole floor is mesh then draughts shouldn't be a problem - it would be a problem if you had small holes which concentrated the air flow.
I have chickens living in trees all year round without any problems  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Granddad Rob

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 07:58 »
Hello Prod .
In my previous incarnation I would have made your arks.  My wife & I started Forsham in 1979 and lost it  in 2011 . I am still ‘at the bench’ making things so if you need parts I could possible help.   

Moderator Edit: Email details removed to prevent spam (they are with the admin team should you need them). 
Grandad Rob, please remember though that anything on here must be free or swapped for goods - no selling of items allowed.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=19481.0

« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 08:03 by joyfull »

Granddad Rob

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 10:10 »

A note to new keepers . BETTER DEAD THAN RED
  I have kept hens for nearly forty years, run a lot of poultry keeping for beginners courses  and spoken with hundreds ( possibly thousands)  of first time keepers . Personally, I keep a sprayer  near the ark treat  at every sign of the little parasites  and if  I cant  see then I’ll  assume they are hiding so still spray    .  Concentrated especially on the perch ends.  !  Do not get hung up about mite, but DON’T ignore them either,  just handle it like you would flees on the dog or black fly on your beans .

Plastic or wood  housing  has to be  down to personal preference, (mine is wood but i am biased )  just believe me  mite really don’t care . They will live in the grass under the house, under the droppingS, in the nest litter. Under the floor liner, under the feeders  ..........The secret is to maintain a good husbandry regime and being observant  Freddy Hams a renowned  old poultry keeper of my acquaintance  told me “a good keeper will see today what’s gone wrong tomorrow” .
Granddad Rob

xx
Run for a Boughton Chicken Coop by Forsham Cottage Arks

Started by Squiffy59 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 05, 2017, 19:32
by spud
xx
Stoats and Arks

Started by marygall on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 19, 2010, 00:02
by marygall
xx
Are Arks/Coops cruel ??

Started by geoffwales on The Hen House

39 Replies
Last post June 28, 2008, 19:27
by Porffor
xx
Broody arks/pens in Essex?

Started by Sparkle on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 17:13
by Caralou

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 37 queries.