Another sediment question

• 5 Replies

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
Another sediment question
« on: April 17, 2013, 10:08 »
OK, I appear to be having more sediment problems (following on from my previous sediment-related thread  ::) )

Why oh why have my last two 5-gallon batches appeared clear in the bucket after adding finings and leaving to settle, appeared clear straight after bottling, but after a couple of weeks a fine sediment appeared in the bottom of every bottle? 

I thought I had been leaving them for long enough after adding finings, and I have got better at leaving the sediment behind on racking following my recent purchase of a bottling bucket with tap!  I could understand it if it was just the last few bottles, but it seems to be all of them affected.

The kits in question are the Beaverdale 30-bottle kits, White Burgundy and Chardonnay. 
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

Kleftiwallah

Re: Another sediment question
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 11:31 »

Could it be that traces of yeast are being re-activated or has not stopped digesting the sugars yet? 
Just a thought.

Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

taytors

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 13:55 »
We used to have same problem  :( then we started to syphon
through muslin,seems to do the trick :) :)
scrumpy is organic and one of your five a day.

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 15:34 »
So I could be jumping the gun and racking before fermentation has totally finished?  Hmmm, that's possible - the first few times I followed the instructions to the letter, but its possible that complacency is setting in and I could be rushing it ("I know how to do this now, don't need the instructions any more...")

Will try leaving this next one a couple of extra days before stabilizing.  May also try the muslin trick too, it can't do any harm!

Thanks for the advice.

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 16:52 »
Suspect that the order is wrong, well I do it different.
If the wine has not fermented to completion and been stopped then I would not clarify. The yeast present could easily cause a fresh deposit. It sounds like this is what has occurred.

I ferment, racking as required, and when fermentation is complete I kill off the yeast with potassium sorbate (think it's that stuff). Don't try the same with a campden tablet or two as they seem to suspend the yeast but not kill it off so it can/will restart.

I then let it stand and see what drops out, with or without finings added, and rack again if required, and usually at this stage, as any sediment will be small, I pass it through a filter. Sometimes it gets another teaspoon of potasium sorbate again to be sure it is dead.

crh75

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 12:48 »
So I could be jumping the gun and racking before fermentation has totally finished?  Hmmm, that's possible - the first few times I followed the instructions to the letter, but its possible that complacency is setting in and I could be rushing it ("I know how to do this now, don't need the instructions any more...")

Will try leaving this next one a couple of extra days before stabilizing.  May also try the muslin trick too, it can't do any harm!

Thanks for the advice.

Extend the times rather than cut them.  I use the Beaverdale kits and often leave them in 5 gallon glass demijohns for up to 6 months.

xx
Total Noob sediment question

Started by neil1967 on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 12:22
by greenun
xx
Wines sat on sediment

Started by scabs on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 18:18
by johnnyboy
xx
Fluffy Sediment

Started by crazypeanut on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 20:16
by Lardman
xx
Help with sediment in beer please

Started by grinling on Homebrew

7 Replies
Last post February 13, 2017, 13:34
by stompy

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 34 queries.