Garlic

• 7 Replies

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Garlic
« on: June 14, 2007, 18:40 »
Well, pulled my first garlics today - still very wet and green, but the tops had fallen over and they smell fantastic, so I couldn't resist any longer and am roasting them for tea with some spuds and cherry tomatoes....  :D

A couple of questions, though - there were a few little bulges part way up the stem, which look and smell like cloves of garlic - hope so, cos they're in the oven as we speak  :shock:  Are they?  And do they have any implications for the keepingness of the garlic?

Secondly, when do I harvest them for drying and storing?  Do you dry them and then plait them, or plait them green and dry them that way?  Never grown the stuff before, so really have no idea!

Any help or suggestions will be very much appreciated  :)

Annie

Garlic
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 23:49 »
I don`t know what the bulils half way up are, although I suspect they are the flowers that neverquite made it all the way up the stem.I had loads last year and did the same as you!Harvesting is easier,wait until the foliage starts turning yellow(not just one leaf),when there's too much to ignore dig out and either lay out on net,slats or as I do tie the ends of the foliage with string and hang from the greenhouse roof or somewhere airy and warm,to dry.When the leaves and stem have dried out you can plat or simply tie in bundles and hand somewhere until you want to eat them.

WG.

Garlic
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 23:57 »
Sounds like you have grown an hardneck variety since they sometimes do get small bulbs half way up the stem.  You can keep them & plant if you like but they might take two years to give a full-sized head.  Or eat them.

If it is hardneck, the you'll have trouble pleating so simply tie in bunches with string.  I'd have thought harvest time was 3 weeks away still

Annie

Garlic
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 00:12 »
Mine are nowhere near ready and hopefully the bulbs will be filling out now.

David.

Garlic
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 08:44 »
I was told many years ago that garlic didn't really start swelling up until after the summer solstice, and any bulbs I've accidentally pulled up before then have always been very thin.

milkman

Garlic
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 09:11 »
I've recently dug up one bulb 'cause I'd used up last year's supply of garlic - it's a good size - the rest will stay in the ground though until proper harvest time.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

WG.

Garlic
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 09:24 »
Quote from: "David."
I was told many years ago that garlic didn't really start swelling up until after the summer solstice, and any bulbs I've accidentally pulled up before then have always been very thin.

I agree - seems to me the bulbs are swelled by the sap from the foliage as it dies back.

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Garlic
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 11:20 »
Well, the bulbils tasted just as good as the cloves, although the texture was a bit less creamy than usual.  I shall leave the rest for a while longer, I was just desperate to try some  :roll:

I've got both hardneck and softneck varieties - Solent Wight, Oswego Wight and Spanish Roja, so there's plenty to harvest yet!

xx
Gone over garlic

Started by shokkyy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post April 04, 2013, 04:00
by Trillium
xx
Garlic

Started by PeterP on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

18 Replies
Last post August 08, 2011, 18:05
by catllar
xx
Garlic

Started by Annie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post July 18, 2007, 23:03
by tetley
xx
What can I do with elephant garlic

Started by GB on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post July 04, 2007, 18:14
by mushroom

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 39 queries.