Cabbage seedlings

• 5 Replies

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
Cabbage seedlings
« on: April 14, 2009, 15:43 »
I have some cabbage and broc seedlings that I started off on a cool conservatory window sill.

They have sprouted nicely and will need transplanting before they get too leggy... what do I transplant them into though?

Do they need to be in pots for more root space? My raised beds aren't ready for them yet and they're not big enough to go into the ground yet - they nearly an inch tall.

Thanks in advance  :)
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

Beejay

• Experienced Member
Re: Cabbage seedlings
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 15:48 »
Transfer them to larger pots about a 2"  when they have 3 leaves not the juvenile ones and then let them harden off by leaving them out during the day and putting them under cover at night :)
The answer lies in what you put into the ground!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 16:33 »
I'm not sure whether to leave them a bit, or transplant earlier. I pot them on into 3" pots pretty much straight after germination and bury them up to their seed leaves. I figure the longer they are in the seed tray the more chance of damping off, and the more leggy they will get ... but the normal advice is to let the "real" leaves appear before pricking out / potting on. I'd love an explanation if anyone knows why?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 16:53 »
I think the fact that you wait until there are two 'real' leaves is just for an indication that there is a good root system for transplanting.

At this stage, mine go into 3" pots, I think 2" is a bit small, and they will remain outside in these until about 8" tall, when they will go into their final positions.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 17:21 »
I think the fact that you wait until there are two 'real' leaves is just for an indication that there is a good root system for transplanting.

That's definitely the case - at the seed-leave stage there is frequently only the single initial root when I transplant. I don't know if I'm checking them more by transplanting that early ... perhaps I'll do a half-and-half test with the next batch.

Babstreefern

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 21:46 »
Mine were also in the conservatory in trays, then when they had their 2 leaves, I moved them to the greenhouse on my lottie and transplanted them into 3" pots and left them there for a week or so, and I've now moved them into my cold frame waiting for the frost to disappear completely. :)  They are doing very well at the moment.  I did the same with my sprouts.
Babs

xx
cabbage seedlings

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2018, 22:44
by juvenal
xx
cabbage seedlings

Started by goddards on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 24, 2009, 14:27
by goddards
xx
cabbage seedlings

Started by crazypeanut on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 21:11
by sunshineband
xx
Cabbage Seedlings

Started by OB on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 17, 2008, 19:16
by fatbelly

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 38 queries.