Stopped laying

• 3 Replies

ste23

Stopped laying
« on: August 11, 2011, 20:34 »
Hi all
Last week i deep cleaned the coop with warm water and elbow grease,no detergents where used at all,before replacing every thing back in the coop like straw and wood shavings i sprayed all round with Johnsons poultry housing spray which should kill mites,lice fleas etc. since doing this my 5 girls laid as follows-
Fri 4 (after clean)
Sat 3
Sun - Weds 3
Thurs 1

Before cleaning we where getting 5 everyday,we feed them on mash, veg scraps, some rice and a hand full of corn everyday

Is it summet i've done or just how they are???

Steve

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Stopped laying
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 20:35 »
mine have gone down from 14 a day to just 6 so must be the weather  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 00:38 »
Around this time of year (your time, not mine - I live in an upside-down country) your chickens will be getting ready to take a break from laying, so that might be the cause.

But also laying hens don't like any disruption to their routine, so they could be protesting at all the nice house-keeping you've done for them!  Ungrateful things!  ::)

If they are taking a break and getting ready to moult, the egg production might stay low and taper off.  If they are just annoyed at their nice clean coop, laying should pick up again in the next week or so.

Please do let us know what happens as it will help others to work out what's going on with their chickens!  :)

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 08:28 »
Yep, chickens are wiley beasts... very fickle, the slightest disturbance can put them off, or the weather, or at this time of year, it will be the start of the moulting season.

Once the nights start to draw in, you can expect to see a decrease in the frequency of eggs laid.

Have a look around the pen, can you see more feathers lying around than normal?  If yes, then your hens could be starting to moult.  Sometimes, with a partial moult - which is common in the first year - you may only see an increase in the number of feathers on the ground, and your hens may look a bit rough around the edges, but not appear to be particularly bald.

xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
Hen stopped laying

Started by dugless on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2012, 21:00
by joyfull
question
stopped laying

Started by Marianne on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 20:32
by Yorkie
xx
Stopped laying

Started by newChickenMummy on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 31, 2010, 00:40
by henamoured

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 40 queries.