Dwarf cherry trees

• 4 Replies

VioletSky

Dwarf cherry trees
« on: March 31, 2010, 12:30 »
I'm looking at buying one of two dwarf cherry trees as an eating cherry (not cooking) - Stella or Sunburst - both 2yo.

How wide will they grow?

If I plant them in the ground, how tall will they grow?

Thanks in advance!

Trillium

Re: Dwarf cherry trees
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 15:08 »
First, be warned that birds LOVE cherries and soon as there's a hint of red, they'll fight you for it, so be prepared to net them early. This comes from experience.  >:(

Both trees will grow anywhere from 6-8 ft high but the owner can decide just how tall the final tree gets by pruning. Same with width. There's no exact size on that, but they'd be about 4-6 ft wide on average.

Both are dark red cherries, heavy bearers, but I've heard that the Stella doesn't produce quite as nice as fruit as Sunburst does. Both need to be picked for best flavour when dark red rather than medium red, but the sunburst is more flavourful earlier. It's also got less cracking and splitting problems. I found that regular fall manuring gave cherries their flavour.

Here's a good info sheet for you:
http://www.gardeningforyou.com/rts/index.asp?action=page&name=10649&subname=8441&siteid=1114 

VioletSky

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 17:35 »
Thanks Trillium, that's really helpful. I have a 4' x 4' space in my allotment, which will be within the fruit cage (when I eventually get round to building it!) so I was thinking of putting it there. Now I'm definately putting it there, after what you've said about the birds!

I was also thinking of keeping it in the pot so it doesn't get too big and wouldn't need pruning... and putting the pot in the ground to give it another foot of height (the cage will be about 6' high). Does that sound ok, or is it a stupid idea and I should just plant it in the ground?  :wacko:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 18:00 »
Cherries can be fine in a pot but need watering of course and usually that means more work. I've moved mine from pot to ground in the garden for that reason  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

VioletSky

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 18:20 »
Of course, I forgot about the extra watering. doh! OK, it'll be planted in the ground, and if I have to prune then so be it :)

xx
'Early Rivers' Cherry Tree 5-6 ft , Found a'Dwarf cherry' is this better?

Started by Judd on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post December 22, 2011, 14:27
by Judd
xx
dwarf cherry

Started by muckyboots on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 23, 2012, 13:03
by sion01
xx
Planted dwarf Cherry with graft below soil level

Started by simpson-allen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 30, 2015, 18:48
by 3759allen
xx
cherry trees

Started by iggyboy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 20:45
by iggyboy

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 39 queries.