What do you collect?

• 16 Replies

Goosegirl

What do you collect?
« on: July 30, 2018, 13:23 »
Just wondered what others on here collect. I have several Lladro geese and ballerina figurines, Beswick and Goebel birds, antique items such as furniture, old horse brasses, pottery, walking sticks, and any old curios that I find interesting.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
Re: What do you collect?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 13:50 »
We seem to have a 'knack' of collecting receipts , trying to swap over to those pieces of paper with portraits of Her Majesty ;) ;)

Like to have a wonder round book stalls  and our local flea market.

we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 18:13 »
I used to collect Graham Clarke postcards and pictures, but it got to the point where there were far too many, so we gave them to a charity shop, and they all sold! I've still got a couple of favourites though...

Funnily enough, after a lifetime of collecting garden tools, I'm giving them away to the new gardeners on 'The Patch', and that'll make a nice hole in the shed!

And I've still got three hundred cassettes in the roof, which I can't bear to chuck out...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 18:20 »
I seem to collect strange people who think my face is friendly, harmless, and that I need befriending and start talking to me  ::)
You know, the sort who want to tell you their life-story when you go on holiday, and to go everywhere with you because they haven't got a guide book  ::)
They're a devil of a job to discourage, I find  ;)

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 18:59 »
I seem to collect strange people who think my face is friendly, harmless, and that I need befriending and start talking to me  ::)
You know, the sort who want to tell you their life-story when you go on holiday, and to go everywhere with you because they haven't got a guide book  ::)
They're a devil of a job to discourage, I find  ;)

Lol, me too, I also find I’m a bit too close by the poor souls that collapse, choke or need first aid & feel honour bound to respond.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 20:53 »
Strictly speaking, mainly dust,  :wacko: but I also have a collection of oil lamps collected over the years, mainly on foreign holidays. All displayed in my lounge as a reminder of travels and adventures in my yoof - one or two of the lamps have actually come in handy during the occasional power cut.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

madcat

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 21:42 »
Dust, yes;  Spiders - they just live here.  But mostly, books ....  every shelf, floor space etc has books.  And yes, I do read them! 
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 22:02 »
Dust, yes;  Spiders - they just live here.  But mostly, books ....  every shelf, floor space etc has books.  And yes, I do read them!

Apparently , book sellers have reported an up turn in sales , returning to the printed page rather than the  ipad screen.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 16:09 »
Seeds ::)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

hamstergbert

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 17:12 »
also books, books and books, and also yes, I read and re-read them.

Over the years had a *regrettable* (not by me) tendency to collect musical instruments of really varied types and sizes. 

In recent years have thinned out the instruments considerably by re-purposing to individuals, groups or organisations where they could bring the most benefit, but I'm afraid the books are another story - little more than cosmetic thinning out of a handful a year whilst at the same time amassing lots more (particularly from World of Books - mostly me paying under three quid for a specific hardback in excellent condition including postage.... really don't see how they can make a living on those figures!).

The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

Kate58

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 19:56 »
Bowls - lots of them!!!! When we go to craft fairs, on holiday, craft shops -I can't help myself! My larder unit is stuffed with them. How many bowls does a girl need??? They get brought out frequently but the hubby then complains about the amount of washing up!

This year, when on holiday in Italy, I had a revelation when looking at another lovely little bit of pottery - maybe I have enough bowls  - BUT I am a bit short of JUGS!!!!

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2018, 20:03 »
I buy a little porcelain thimble whenever we visit anywhere (if I see one)

8doubles

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 21:01 »
Flotsam and Jetsam.
Fishing tackle.
Tools.

snowdrops

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 21:49 »
Seeds ::)
Ah yes I’d forgotten that one lol

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2018, 07:26 »
A lot of the books sold online seem to come from carity shops, Hamssters, so have probably been free donations!

We buy a lot of books on line, and also every time I pop into our local chairity shop, a fifty-pence coin changes hands and I walk out with yet another tome...

In fact, our library is opposite, and they say that the charity shop is 'competition' as it's so well run!

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 54 queries.