Is it safe to use arnica on a bruised foot?

• 11 Replies

Pettrish

Is it safe to use arnica on a bruised foot?
« on: April 15, 2011, 00:04 »
Hi, I've got an eighteen month old amberlink hen that has a badly bruised foot, after being chased and beaten up by my broody silver sussex:( Does anyone know if it would be ok to put arnica on the bruising? Nancy is limping quite badly and i have checked her over thoroughly and found no cuts etc or broken bones, but she is very stiff and sore.

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
Re: Is it safe to use arnica on a bruised foot?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 08:12 »
i dont see why not it's a Natural Remedie that may help i know they work in humans and i have used them on my hens but you may want to ask a vet about the dosage
and if that one dont work try this one

Sprains and strains

* 10. Comfrey ointment, Arnica 30c and Rhus Tox 30c

Suggested treatment...

Apply Comfrey ointment liberally to the affected area twice daily. Take a dose of arnica 30c every hour for four doses. Follow the four doses of arnica 30c with rhus tox 30c. Take a dose of rhus tox 30c four times each day until symptoms are relieved (up to one week).

Further information...
      The herb comfrey also known as Symphytum officinale can be applied in ointment form to a sprain. It strengthens connective tissue, relieves bruising and promotes healing.

Arnica 30c is used to reduce likelihood of bruising, or alleviate bruising and swelling of tissues.

“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

Beakybird

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 08:31 »
I'd certainly use Arnica without concern as I'm a firm believer in natural remedies. I use Arnica as a homeopathic remedy for both myself and my companion animals.

Some good info there, Al  :)

Good luck with Nancy, Pettrish.

Paul Plots

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 09:13 »
Arnica is wonderful stuff - used it since I was a kid but I think it is poisonous. Not sure if this would make any difference to decision about using it with animals.  :unsure:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

evie2

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 21:21 »
I wouldn't put Arnica ointment on the area however I would use it in tablet form :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 21:24 »
I wouldn't put Arnica ointment on the area however I would use it in tablet form :D

I didn't know you could get arnica as tablets. Is it swallowed? (Hate to think how else it might be taken  :lol: )

Beakybird

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 22:23 »

I didn't know you could get arnica as tablets. Is it swallowed? (Hate to think how else it might be taken  :lol: )

Al Hathaway mentions it above. It's in homeopathic form. Pillules dissolve easier that tablets, however I'm sure tabs will be ok. I can't see that ointment would be a problem as there wouldn't be a big splodge a hen could eat :)

evie2

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 23:14 »
Arnica ointment can be quite sticky and it's not the Arnica, it's what it's suspended in that should be considered, tablets are easy to give :D  There are also some very good publications available by vets on treating animals with Homoeopathy :D

Pettrish

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 23:47 »
Thanks all for your help and interest with this :) I have managed to speak to a local chicken 'nut' and they suggested the 'human' (lol) 'arnacare' cream, which can be purchased from any chemist and most supermarkets. It can apparently be used with no ill effects, providing it is rubbed in well and the bird in not allowed to in-gest the cream. I have used this twice today,roughly a 0,5cm squidge each time,rubbed well in to the affected area, and will do the same for the next couple of days to see if there is any improvement.  I'll let you know how things go!
My 'broody' has been totally removed from the situation too as her mood is not lifting and she is getting worse if not better :( Definitely the worse case of broodiness that I have ever come across, maybe she is just getting stroppier each time   >:( >:(

Pettrish

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 21:40 »
Have finally finished using the arnica cream after 9 days now and Nancy's foot is completely better !! hurray :) :) She hasn't had any ill effects from the cream at all and i'm sure that it has helped her recover quicker,will def use it again. Unfortunately I couldn't get the other homeopathic tablets that were suggested but i'm still looking out for them as I will keep them at hand for the future. Many thanks for all your help and suggestions.  :) :)

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 23:58 »
Ainsworths of London supply homoeopathic arnica tablets and you can buy online at
http://www.ainsworths.com/site/product.aspx?ProductID=21504&CategoryID=39

All the best
Sue
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

Beakybird

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 07:26 »
That's great news Pettrish :D The act of actually applying the cream with a gentle massage encourages new blood to the area, which in itself can aid healing too. Glad to hear little Nancy has now fully recovered :)

I tend to buy Weleda homeopathic remedies which are widely available (most healthfood stores stock them as well as some chemists). Also Nelson's brand.  Both companies manufacture a range of creams/ointments/balms and tablets. I've just bought an organic Arnica Balm made by Herbfarmacy (that's the correct spelling lol) as an addition to my ever expanding natural remedies first aid box! 

xx
battered and bruised ex batt

Started by babe on The Hen House

71 Replies
Last post March 05, 2008, 17:22
by Dabhand
xx
cockerel with bruised tail (and possibly dented pride)

Started by New shoot on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post December 04, 2012, 21:00
by New shoot
xx
Cut Foot

Started by Nails on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 09, 2010, 17:55
by too many girls
xx
cut foot :(

Started by amyt on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 03, 2009, 11:04
by Hensington

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 38 queries.