Clay soil and humus

• 7 Replies

Christine

Clay soil and humus
« on: February 26, 2009, 19:59 »
I've had to buy in compost to raise the clay back to the original level (back to the walkways around the sides - about two or three inches this winter/spring). But to raise three quarters of a double allotment (fruit trees on other area) is boodly expensive.  :wub:

Nope as a non driver I have no chance of manure (and have been put off with all the problems last year). Yes I can compost with the best of you - there's stuff scrounged from all round everywhere on the compost heaps (my flat, local family, neighbours, cardboard, newspaper, some of my old cotton knickers that disintegrated ...) but nowhere near enough to make an impression.

So does anyone have any suggestions that could be cheap and easy? Because I shall have to repeat this process next winter/spring. The soil isn't the best for draining when there are flash storms and doesn't encourage enough root growth on things like cabbage family. There is a serious shortage of worms it must be said.

penance

Re: Clay soil and humus
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 21:00 »
Maybe add some grit aswell, will add a bit of bulk and help drainage.

Whats the PH? Maybe that is affecting brassica growth. I have heavy clay and in its natural state the PH is about 4.5

Christine

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 21:16 »
Last time we checked it was a fairly neutral 6.5 - 7 ph

Hadn't thought of grit - thanks for the idea. Brain must have gone numb somewhere cos I've read that lots of times  :wub:

Celery

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 21:27 »
Last year I bought a load of compost of Local skip company.It is waste from the green  recycle bin,whch there contractor has composted.It only cost me £40 pound.
                                                                                                                        Celery

Christine

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 08:04 »
I wish that what I had bought from the local company that deals with the local green waste cost me that little.

I bought 82 x 40 litre bags - and it's lovely stuff (in fact some of the best compost I've seen) but it hasn't been enough and I've dipped into a pile of more expensive stuff in order to finish the job. It cost me a lot more than your £40 Celery delivered but it's worth the price.

That's why I was hoping for any clues as to something cheaper.  But it's possible that there is no cheaper answer to the neglect of previous owners.  It's come to the point where green manure (or throwing down more growmore  :D) won't solve the problem.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 20:48 »
Ring round stables and farms locally and ask if there's anyone who'll deliver to your site - you should be able to get a trailer-load not too expensively.

penance

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 20:53 »
Any mushroom growers local?

Christine

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 07:34 »
A couple of good suggestions there which I shall follow up in the future. Job done for this season but it'll need doing again in the autumn in some form if not quite in such quantity.  :wub:

xx
Adding humus to the soil ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 17, 2009, 11:25
by Bombers
xx
Clay Soil

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

40 Replies
Last post April 26, 2010, 12:19
by WebSiteEvo
xx
Clay soil

Started by steve chip on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 27, 2016, 12:48
by Goosegirl
xx
Clay soil.

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 01, 2011, 22:50
by Ricey

Page created in 0.436 seconds with 38 queries.