onion seed

• 7 Replies

andyk

• Experienced Member
onion seed
« on: September 22, 2007, 17:53 »
what is the best onion to grow from seed as i cant plant sets as yet as the plot is still been cleaned of weed roots i planed to grow from seed in the greehouse does it need to be heated? and was goingt o try what my father in law used to do that is plant about six seeds per cell then plant them out as a clump then pull some early and let the others grow on

muntjac

onion seed
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 19:23 »
my old man used to do that and he kept " the gaffer " appy all through summer . i just do sets in the spring  so cant help with seeds  :)
still alive /............

David.

onion seed
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 19:57 »
I used to heat a greenhouse over winter with all sorts of fuscia/geranium/etc. cuttings in but the cost of fuel means I now start heating in April, too late for onion seed (Jan), so I use both overwintering setts and some spring planted setts (as they will/supposed to last/store longer than the others).

Even if you sowed under glass you will probably only delay plating (beyond spring planted setts) by 2 weeks.

I have also tried early plantings of setts in peat pots in a cold frame, but without success.

theothermarg

• me
onion seed
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 20:43 »
planted some called radar app 3 weeks ago in cells they are around 3" highat the moment. I always grow them from seed this year they grew well very satisfying
Tell me and I,ll forget,Show me and I might
remember,Involve me and I,ll understand

andyk

• Experienced Member
onion seed
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 20:47 »
thanks that one for the shopping list what do they keep like?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
onion seed
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 20:54 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
my old man used to do that and he kept " the gaffer " appy all through summer . i just do sets in the spring  so cant help with seeds  :)

So do I, having tried onions from seed once, and hving to remove their dripping remains after 2 months.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gobs

onion seed
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 08:25 »
Hi, I like your plan, but as DD warns, there are things to look out for(I,ve been doing onions from seed for 3 years), sow a lot more than you need.
I saw outdoor ones end of August(Derbyshire sunny slope, not in the frost pocket), so I think heated greenhouse is unnecessary; and indoor ones in Jan, kept in cold window.
They are ready to plant out more or less at the same time, in May. When you usually have a bit of a drought (ignore this year when they drowned and rotted), so look out for watering them!
As far as varieties concerned is a matter of personal taste, most of them will do fine. I do not like large ones, as they are too mild and tend not to store that well.  Golden Bear is a proven favourite of mine: good flavour, medium size, fast to mature, stores well, also like red baron for its strong flavour.
Let us now, how you got on,
gobs
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

theothermarg

• me
onion seed
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 17:18 »
yesI agree I grew some golden bear this year it could be those in the picy grew several types and am not good about labeling  :oops: I feel sure that seed grown onions bolt less than set grown. I havn,t tried radar before but they germanated well and will go on growing in cells till I clear the ground to put them in. I agree they don,t need extra heat in a greenhouse in fact it would prob bring them on too fast and they would get a hell of a shock when you plant them out
marg

xx
spring onion seed and rocket seed

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 10:19
by AmandaLouise
xx
Onion gone to seed

Started by Rangerkris on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 08:26
by Rangerkris
xx
onion for seed

Started by maizey on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 08, 2015, 20:26
by DD.
xx
Onion from seed

Started by engineer on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 13, 2018, 09:18
by engineer

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 38 queries.