Apple picker

• 14 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Apple picker
« on: November 24, 2012, 16:12 »
I have just managed to take off the lowest level apples on my tree, but there's probably over half still left on.  They are not coming off easily (probably slightly unripe) and I am reluctant to get on a ladder in order to start yanking them off - too dangerous to do so on my own.

Has anyone any experience with telescopic apple pickers?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

grendel

Re: Apple picker
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 16:39 »
we got one from lidls for less than £10 a few years back and its great, those I cant reach from the ground can be reached from the shed roof, its good for up to about 15 foot from ground level. (our tree is about 20 ft tall.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

smud6ie

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 17:56 »
Iv'e had a wolf fruit picker for years and its excellent.I have a few different handles including the longest telescopic one off my high pruners/saw.
smud6ie

LINK
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 19:26 by Trillium »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 20:46 »
Thanks, both  :D

davejg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 21:52 »
Another vote for the wolf Yorkie bit gentler than the wire ones

grendel

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 21:58 »
mine has a shaped edge with fingers you hook between the fruit and branch - the apple drops in the cloth bag, big enough at a pinch for 3 large apples.
Grendel

Auntiemogs

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 01:38 »
Thanks for posting this Yorkie.  I shall buy one for my Mum next year. 
She fell out of the tree last year (why is it that the ones at the top are always so lovely?) and did herself a mischief. 
At 70 and with MS, you'd think she would know better but you can't keep a good woman down (well..unless you count the year before when she fell out of the loft because she was worried that the humane mouse traps were empty and cracked two ribs)...  :ohmy:::) :lol:
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 12:28 »
Watcha need is a tin can on the end of a long pole, divot in the tin can to cut the apple from the tree. Trying to picture my late grandads, various poles tied together with string and all sorts.

jezza

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 23:12 »
hi  i use a wolf telescopic pole with fruit picking attachment we keep the trees to the height of the pole at full extension ,our problem is the apples tend to sit in the picking fingers not in the bag,apples usually weigh (8oz-1,1/4 pound) agood harvest this year 240 apples compared to 80 last year  8 in a 3 gallon bucket  jezza

Auntiemogs

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 00:22 »
Would love to get a Wolf one, but with finances being a bit limited, I'm going to try this one and will report back.  :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Telescopic-Aluminium-Apple-Fruit-Picker-low-price-/290637653245?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenEquipment_HandTools_SM&hash=item43ab5aa4fd

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 00:33 »
Would love to get a Wolf one, but with finances being a bit limited, I'm going to try this one and will report back.  :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Telescopic-Aluminium-Apple-Fruit-Picker-low-price-/290637653245?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenEquipment_HandTools_SM&hash=item43ab5aa4fd

That Apple Picker looks a good price - certainly would be useful as both our trees are plastered and it'd be easier than picking them up from the lawns.

My only worry might be the number of negative statements for that particular seller.... or is it just me fussing?
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 01:21 »
Mmm...only time will tell I think Paul. 

I've ordered from the non-ebay (Selections) site a few times over the past couple of years.  Had a couple of problems with late delivery but one of those was down to Parcelforce. 

The ratio of bad to good reviews is very low when you consider the amount of turnover, although the picker itself has mixed reviews on Amazon (ranging from excellent to rubbish). 

Still, at just over a tenner, much cheaper than visiting Mum in hospital.  ::) :lol:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 09:33 »
Will be interested to hear how it performs  :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 11:33 »
Mmm...only time will tell I think Paul. 

I've ordered from the non-ebay (Selections) site a few times over the past couple of years.  Had a couple of problems with late delivery but one of those was down to Parcelforce. 

The ratio of bad to good reviews is very low when you consider the amount of turnover, although the picker itself has mixed reviews on Amazon (ranging from excellent to rubbish). 

**Still, at just over a tenner, much cheaper than visiting Mum in hospital.  ::) :lol:

**So very true - I'd spend considerably more than a tenner to avoid a fall too.  ;)

Trillium

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 05:45 »
I speak from experience that a picker is cheaper than hospital. I fell off a ladder in a tall pear tree 2 years ago and cracked my heel and a vertebrae. Did permanent damage to that foot. After several operations, it's definitely worth the cost of a picker.

I have dwarf fruit trees but the little devils have grown quite tall now so I have to dig out my telescoping pruners to clip the header branches   >:( The trees are on a slope so I definitely won't use a ladder to pick them.

xx
Home made Apple picker

Started by ARPoet on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post September 11, 2016, 23:31
by grinling
xx
Apple pressers

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post January 11, 2011, 17:54
by savbo

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 36 queries.