chest infection?

• 1 Replies

Beano

chest infection?
« on: November 19, 2017, 16:51 »
One of my hens has been weezing for a few weeks and she is not getting any better. The reason I have done nothing till now is, she has had it before and got better without intervention. She is moulting and it has been a very slow process this time for her. Other than this, she is lively and is eating as normal. She has no discharge from her nose or eyes. Whatever it is it's not contagous or the other two would have had it by now. What can I do to help her through this, or does she need a visit to a vet? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
El.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: chest infection?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 10:38 »
Hens can be carriers of mycoplasma and suffer with bouts of it.  If she is struggling with moulting, that may have triggered another attack.  It is very contagious and while the others are showing no symptoms, they may well be infected.

I would suggest a vet visit, but the vet may well suggest treating the lot.  If the sickly hen is a long standing carrier, there may be a limited amount that can be done.  Brace yourself for a suggestion she is culled.  Sorry for the gloomy reply, but intervention now may well benefit the rest of your hens.

There is a link on the Useful Poultry Info bit of the forum to this page for more detailed info.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps034

xx
possible chest infection

Started by chook mother on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2010, 10:33
by chook mother
xx
Ear Infection?

Started by 3Bluebelles on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 14, 2009, 10:30
by 3Bluebelles
xx
Lash - possible infection?

Started by Snoop on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 05, 2011, 18:54
by joyfull
xx
Chicken eye infection

Started by govier96 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 11, 2010, 17:58
by govier96

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 40 queries.