Regenerating old allotments.

• 5 Replies

Jakell

« on: January 21, 2008, 02:27 »
I've recently took on a plot, which was once very good, but has been neglected for ages and had rubbish dumped on it (see my pics).

This is not merely an overgrown allotment, but contains all sorts of problems such as broken glass, an old wooden greenhouse that really needs to come down. lots of plastic waste and bits of metal etc, all fairly mixed in together. There are at least a couple of similar allotments on the same site as me.

While clearing this up, and bringing it back into use, it has occurred to me that I am applying skills that are quite useful, and could be applied to other similar plots. I also have noticed that the council would rather forget about these plots.

So I've decided to make a project out of this and present it to the council as something they might be interested in supporting.

Does anybody here have any similar plots on their sites, or have similar experiences?

Trillium

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 02:29 »
Check the Personal Albums section. I recall several other members had veritable dumps to deal with and eventually got them cleared.

flatcap

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 07:41 »
the lottie we got was a dump t he plot holder burned down shed and greenhouse,he used the plot to store junk,never grew anything.

we got the plot(he got thrown off it was the 3rd time he burnt itdown :shock: ) complete with burned out rubbish we got no skip/help from the council

we will have had the plot 2 years in aug and hopefully by then the whole lot will be finished

good luck with yours its hard work but worth it

mushroom

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 09:24 »
I guess it depends where you are - a suburban plot I'd guess would be less likely to have buried junk compared to an urban one. I had to unearth loads of growbags, glass, a burnt down shed, a greenhouse door, a fair bit of iron, rope... I've had the plot since June last year, I'm still pulling stuff up, though most of it is up now. I think the situation you describe is more common than not, and gets more common the longer the plot has been disused.

We have no skips onsite (people dumped household debris there, so the facility was removed), I am trying to organise a friend with transport to drive my bags of rubbish to the dump. Aaaargh  :!:

Ruth Cross

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.kitchenacademy.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 11:20 »
Poor you Jakell, that site looked awful. I complained about mine, which was seriously over grown, couldn't even step onto the plot. But yours looks 10 times worse :(
All credit to you, some serious work put into clearing that :wink:

jack russell

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 11:36 »
you done a good job clearing that lot :wink:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

clip
New to allotments

Started by Wellington on Design and Construction

14 Replies
Last post January 20, 2020, 18:41
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
Ponds on Allotments

Started by standfree on Design and Construction

19 Replies
Last post June 30, 2009, 12:49
by braders1234
question
Materials Allowed on Allotments

Started by ThamesPlotter on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post August 03, 2021, 08:54
by snowdrops
xx
thinking about creating allotments over 2 acres

Started by davemell on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post July 11, 2011, 22:28
by davemell

Page created in 0.448 seconds with 39 queries.