Mayan Gold - never again.

• 6 Replies

Bernard

• Experienced Member
Mayan Gold - never again.
« on: September 03, 2012, 18:26 »
This is my crop of Mayan Gold from 2 plants -

Described as 'Early maincrop'. These plants flowered early, died right back in late August. I dug these today. They are too small to peel, won't scrape (maybe I should dig out the old tumble polisher), the skins are tough when used as chips, said to be not suitable for boiling - I will find out shortly....
...well, I found out. Potao soup, anyone?

I know growth has been generally abnormal this year but my Arran Pilot and Charlotte grew to a good size. As far as I can see these M Gold are useless.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Mayan Gold - never again.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 19:12 »
Oh dear  :(
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 07:26 »
Oh that's a shame. I have tasted these before and they are lovely. I have been hoping to find a source one year for a few seed potatoes of this variety myself.

Perhaps its worth giving them another go as it has been an exceptional year for growing conditions in the UK.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 08:10 »
You were warned by T & M -

Mayan Gold has proven exceptionally popular with chefs and the restaurant trade. Fantastic for chips and roast potatoes with a crispy texture and fluffy centres. Superb flavour when cooked in its skin, and for all cooking uses except boiling, as tubers tend to disintergrate

Bernard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 09:54 »
exceptionally popular with chefs and the restaurant trade. Fantastic for chips and roast potatoes with a crispy texture and fluffy centres. Superb flavour when cooked in its skin, and for all cooking uses except boiling, as tubers tend to disintergrate

Yes, I noted the point about boiling. But if chefs like them it must be more for their appearance than anything else, despite what they may say. There is nothing remarkable about the flavour. None of mine are big enough for chips. You just can't get them out of their skins which are unusually tough when cooked. Perhaps the only way is to roast until the skins are totally dried and crisped but mine are too small for this. There is nothing good about them.

Of course, it might have been a bad year for them but again this is a black mark since the other 3 varieties that I have grown have been ok.

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 20:49 »
Sounds like your Mayans want to be back in Guatemala  :D

Some varieties simply won't do well in certain soils. I have poor luck with them, while my mum, who lives 30 minutes away, has fantastic crops in her cooler area and higher altitude. And one particular variety we love does very poorly in her soil so we've given up trying and stick with what does well in our soils.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 15:58 »
I grew these taters last year and I said never again as well!
They looked nice and solid, but the wireworm adored them and they were riddled with holes and when I did cook the few that were unaffected they dissolved within minutes into a watery mess.

A terrible tater variety :(

xx
Mayan Gold potatoes

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 11, 2008, 19:49
by johnhar
xx
Anyone grown 'Mayan Gold'?

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 03, 2012, 21:27
by sunshineband
xx
mayan gold potatoes

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post December 03, 2009, 16:43
by sunshineband
xx
Liquid Gold

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 18, 2008, 20:25
by gobs

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 39 queries.