Making a lawn or meadow out of an allotment?

• 16 Replies

Moonshine132435

• Aquired my plot on 13th April, a little daunting!
Re: Making a lawn or meadow out of an allotment?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 13:20 »
I'm not too fussed about making things perfect for whoever follows me, but I'm not going to spoil things for them either. So I am not troubled by planting trees and fruit bushes and the like, as my succesor could have the benefit of them if they so choose. However, I won't leave any rubbish around and no permanent fixtures other than the shed, so they won't have to worry about concrete pilings and the like. And I certainly wouldn't strip the soil of it's quality just so I could have a pretty meadow.

Having said that, I don't want to interfere with other plot holders; we've got a great little live-and-let-live community and I'd not want my plans to interfere with theirs, and vice versa. It's not quite swampy enough for a proper bog garden (the ground is heavy clay and at the base of a slight hill, so it gets soggy most of the winter, but it's baked hard during the summer same as other plots) but a little pond down there would be nice for encouraging a little wildlife and, if we're lucky, some slug-eating hedgehogs.

Thanks for all your views, they're very helpful.
Aquired a full plot on 13th April; exited and a little awed in equal measure.

Goosegirl

Re: Making a lawn or meadow out of an allotment?
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 15:07 »
I'm sure I remember someone making a pond but had some liner extended at one side which was dug down into the surrounding soil to retain some water for a bog garden. Also, if the liner was lower than the level of the pond it would keep moist enough for bog plants plus if the edges were flat it would collect rain water from above. Could have been Geoff Hamilton but not sure and can't remember if it had a few drainage holes in it.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Lawn on allotment?

Started by Urbanite on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post May 22, 2015, 10:40
by Goosegirl
xx
wildflower meadow

Started by andyf75 on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post February 19, 2015, 11:08
by andyf75
xx
wildflower meadow

Started by andyf75 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post August 12, 2014, 19:48
by moose
xx
Wild flower meadow

Started by Beano on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post February 16, 2012, 21:02
by Trillium

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 35 queries.