Turbo Cider

• 22 Replies

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
Turbo Cider
« on: March 02, 2009, 13:53 »
finally got round to looking into making some of this, as I have 3 spare demijohns :)
Popped into Aldi or was it lidl to buy some fiver long handled lopper thingies and I walked passed the apple juice. It was 9am and I was thinking about homebrew.. so I bought 4.5l and will be making some turbo cider tonight..!! Might even add some extra honey to give it more of a "kick"  :tongue2: :D

beestie-crawlies

• Experienced Member
Re: Turbo Cider
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 14:36 »
Hi,

Good on you!

Started two demi-johns on saturday, 8 litres of cheap apple juice from sainsburys and a sachet of cider yeast bought from a homebrew shop last week! Planned ahead. ;)

Both bubbling away very well in the airing cupboard!
Now your grips too strong
You can't catch love with a net or a gun
Gotta keep faith that your path will change
Gotta keep faith that your luck will change tomorrow
'James'

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 14:43 »

Both bubbling away very well in the airing cupboard!

This is the only problem I have, as we don't have an airing cupboard any more, so it all ends up int he kitchen which does get cool on the night times. So after tonight we (I) will have 1 red wine demijohn, 1 cider and 35 bottles of beer in the kitchen, plus the other 20 bottles I have just moved to the garage :)

becoming an addict at homebrew now :D :D

beestie-crawlies

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 14:51 »
I know what you mean!

I'm thinking of getting a beer bin from wilko's, £20 the last time I looked. Might give me something to do in the evenings! :D

Stripey_cat

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 21:57 »
How does this go?  Recipe please?

jjbull

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 22:09 »
turbo cider and recipe dont really go , i think turbo cider is grwat for experimenting but the basic recipe is which ever natural fruit juice is on offer some sugar or honey to raise the gravity a bit and some yeast and away you go, you can try apple, apple and raspberry or pomegranite anything you want really just let your imagination run wild :D

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 06:36 »
turbo cider and recipe dont really go , i think turbo cider is grwat for experimenting but the basic recipe is which ever natural fruit juice is on offer some sugar or honey to raise the gravity a bit and some yeast and away you go, you can try apple, apple and raspberry or pomegranite anything you want really just let your imagination run wild :D
yep that is the plan... :)

Mr Stripey_cat, what I am doing is
4.5l apple juice, but because it says it is from concentrate, then it iwill have additives, so I will heat the juice in a pan for 15 mins to get rid of the chemicals. If you get natural juice that isn't from concentrate then you can skip that bit.

1 packet of yeast, you can even use bread yeast, but also read to avoid it
honey/sugar to give it more of a kick.

mix together in a demijohn and wait for fermentation it finish, prime and stick in pet bottles.

beestie-crawlies

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 07:51 »

Mr Stripey_cat, what I am doing is
4.5l apple juice, but because it says it is from concentrate, then it iwill have additives, so I will heat the juice in a pan for 15 mins to get rid of the chemicals. If you get natural juice that isn't from concentrate then you can skip that bit.

My juice was from concentrate, and I didn't heat it first?
Look on the label, it should say if it has preservatives in it. Nothing mentioned on mine, also use within 3 days once opened, a good sign that there is no preservatives in it!

Just for info I used Spainsbury's apple juice, their cheapie range, 56p/litre.

Mine has just about stopped bubbling. 3 days to ferment, no extra sugar added, about 5%.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 09:57 »
I think I need to try this!  Alcoholic apple juice sounds great.  (BTW, it's Miss, but I'll answer to anything from someone with good ideas for booze!)  I'll have a look in the supermarkets for inspiration (and cheapness).

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 12:34 »
I think I need to try this!  Alcoholic apple juice sounds great.  (BTW, it's Miss, but I'll answer to anything from someone with good ideas for booze!)  I'll have a look in the supermarkets for inspiration (and cheapness).
Ha.. very Sorry Miss Stripey_cat :)

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 15:27 »
just been reading this

The correct way to do this is to put 3L of apple juice into a demi-john, pitch the yeast and leave under airlock for a day or two till the initial vigorous fermentation dies down then add the remianing 1.5L.

I followed these instructions but once again committed the cardinal sin of inpatience ADDING MY SECOND 1.5L AFTER ONLY 12 HOURS. Resulting in the frothy head going all the way into the airlock.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 22:54 »
I followed these instructions but once again committed the cardinal sin of inpatience ADDING MY SECOND 1.5L AFTER ONLY 12 HOURS. Resulting in the frothy head going all the way into the airlock.

Hah!  I managed that one a few years back with the banana wine of doom (more froth than you can possibly imagine, and a strong taste of artificial banana flavouring!).  My housemate was scared to go into the room because she thought the jar was out to get her personally.  In reality, it spat and bubbled at everyone equally, but people taking finals aren't always the sanest.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 09:49 »

youngdigger

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 12:35 »
must try this, i,m off to buy some equiptment.never brewed anything before, but it sounds easy enough, even for an idiot like me

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 12:46 »
I had 1l of it at the weekend and oh boy it was really really nice. Fairly dry and had one hell of a kick. Will be making some more very soon..

xx
Turbo cider

Started by A. Fallowfield on Homebrew

62 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 19:30
by kems
xx
Turbo Cider

Started by calli on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post July 21, 2007, 15:46
by calli
xx
turbo cider stalled??

Started by Will1983 on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2010, 13:22
by nobby90
xx
Turbo cider/Ribena wine

Started by theboywhowouldnthoecorn on Homebrew

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 16:44
by Alastair-I

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 39 queries.