Blackcurrant bush and pruning the old wood to leave the new wood

• 7 Replies

zestymordant

Hi,

One of the fellows at the allotments was kind enough to give me a blackcurrant plant, which we've taken the blackcurrants off.

He told me that the blackcurrants grow from the old wood, but they will grow from the new wood next year and to trim the old wood.

So far this makes sense... but every single piece of old wood has new wood growing off it.

To me this would mean, don't bother trimming.

Is it not that simple?

Thanks everybody  :)

allotmentann

Strange, I am confused now as the information that I read says that blackcurrants form on young wood.
This is roughly what I have gleaned from researching them;
When the bush has filled the space you have alloted for it, prune the leading shoots back to half their length, cutting to an upright bud.
At the end of June prune side shoots to half their length and then to two or three buds in winter.
In winter take out any branches that grow away from the bush at a sharp angle. When fully grown remove a quarter of two year old branches (grey colour) and older branches (black colour), cutting right back to the base.
I must admit I find it all a bit confusing myself, but have not had to do any pruning yet. I have one very new plant - given to me by a fellow plot holder, and another on the way later this year.

Goosegirl

Allotmentann - I think that pruning plan is for redcurrants and gooseberries. Blackcurrants form on last year's shoots, so plant deeply to get a ready supply of new shoots from the base. Prune between November and March, cutting out any low, weak or diseased branches, then remove about a third of the oldest branches (3-4 year old and dark grey) each year, and aim for a bush that isn't too crowded with stems so it gets a good airflow through it to prevent disease. (Source - Hessayon).
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
See the RHS guide on blackcurrants:
http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Grow-Your-Own/Fruit-A-to-Z/Blackcurrants

"Prune blackcurrants when dormant – from late autumn to late winter. Fruit forms on young wood, so when pruning aim to remove older wood, leaving the young shoots.

Up to and including the fourth year after planting, remove weak, wispy shoots, retaining a basic structure of six to 10 healthy shoots. After year four, cut out about one-third of the older wood at the base, using a pair of loppers or a pruning saw. This will encourage and make room for younger, healthy wood. Also remove weak shoots and low ones leaning towards the ground."
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

zestymordant

Re: Blackcurrant bush and pruning the old wood to leave the new wood
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 19:45 »
Armed with that knowledge I went to the allotment but I still couldn't work out which bits to prune and which not!

allotmentann

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 20:06 »
Armed with that knowledge I went to the allotment but I still couldn't work out which bits to prune and which not!
:lol:  :lol:  me neither! :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 20:48 »
as it's still a young plant, just do this bit
remove weak, wispy shoots, retaining a basic structure of six to 10 healthy shoots
in other words - remove any weak/scruffy looking branches back to the main stem - then if it is still very bushy cut a few healthy looking ones off as well, to thin it out   ;)

It gets more complicated as the plant gets older, but that'll do for now  :)

VegGirl7

• Experienced Member
    • allotmentforaginghomebrewadventures
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 20:54 »
I think it's a little early to be pruning yet (I'm no expert though and sure someone will correct me!)  I'm not planning on pruning mine until they're dormant - dropped all their leaves - in another month of two)  :unsure:  

From my understanding though, they will produce fruit on stems that are 1year+ old but when they get too old, 4yrs+, the stem will be less productive and so should then be removed to make way for younger stems

You want to keep 6-10 stems on each bush - yours could be reasonably young and not need pruning other than to take out any branches/stems that are crossing each other - if there are any?

The wood/stem gets darker as it gets older so the really dark stuff is what you want to remove first, when you need to

Like I've said, I'm no expert, but mine seem to be doing OK so far...

xx
Blackcurrant bush pruning

Started by BumbleJo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 14, 2016, 11:54
by Growster...
xx
Blackcurrant pruning.

Started by Kathogur on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 15, 2017, 19:01
by mumofstig
clip
Blackcurrant bush

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2019, 11:02
by mdjlucan
xx
blackcurrant bush

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 12:30
by mashbintater

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 40 queries.