First frost last night

• 12 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
First frost last night
« on: September 25, 2018, 20:45 »
Apologies if I've missed it, but can't see that anyone else has posted it.

Thought it was a bit nippy this morning, but didn't think it was quite that cold until I went to the plot and found that the cucurbits had bought it. All of them blackened.

Daughter who lives in a village a few miles away tells me she had to scrape her windscreen. Looks a bit warmer next few nights, but a bit late for the squash!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Stewarty

Re: First frost last night
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 21:01 »
Yes, seems a bit earlier than the past few years. In our garden at home all was fine, even the dahlias are still blooming away. But when I went to the allotment about a mile away, in late afternoon today, a very sad sight  -  all tender things turned to black mush  -  dahlias, tomatoes, peppers, squashes, beans. In hind-sight, i should have protected them  -  but tricky, 2 days after a wet and windy weekend.
Despite the blackening of the leaves, maybe the fruits are ok?  I took a lot of the tomatoes, peppers and squashes home, hoping they'll be usable....
Well, the year goes round. We're just off on holiday for 8 days, but when we return it will be plot clearance time.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 21:38 »
The cucurbits are the only delicate things I have on the plot. The rest are in the more sheltered garden at home and all are doing well. So much so, that they are doing better at this time of year than I can remember, despite the summer. They recovered well and I've can't really remember a glut of runner beans at this time of year. Usually they have shot it when I get back from summer hols as no one had picked them. This time there were none to pick and we've benefited later on.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 21:58 »
We are still pretty warm here, last night was the coldest it's been, lowest temp was 7.5 in the greenhouse on the plot but currently as I type (10pm) the weather station in the garden is reporting 14.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 22:14 »
It's been down between 3 and 4C, in the greenhouse, for the last couple of nights  :ohmy:

I brought home all my squashes yesterday afternoon as I saw that some of the dahlia flowers had been frosted.
About a month earlier than usual for here. So, although summer itself was hot, the growing season started late and finished early. So I can't count it as a good growing year :(

I've started forking over the empty beds, just 2 left with crops in - leeks and swede in one, and a few plants each of kale, Brussels and calabrese plus 6 winter cabbage in the 2nd.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 07:44 »
My French beans and courgettes are breathing their last now the temps are dropping so it looks like it might be time to clear some space. A good thing really as we planted our new plot up with really low soil height so finally we can add the soil from the mountain at the back and bring it all up to ground level ready for manuring. Feeling very autumnal here on the South Coast!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 08:40 »
Currently on the IOW and night time temps down to 4 or 5C as the skies are so clear.

Brought most of the squashes under cover before I left, so hopefully they are OK. Wondering about cucumbers in the polytunnel? We shall see.....
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 13:12 »
Like Aidy we've not had any yet but I think we were near it the other morning.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

MustbeMad

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 13:51 »
It was also very cold here in Northumberland this morning. I was going to ask everyone if I should cut the pumpkins now and leave them in the polytunnel to ripen - they are still green although the smaller ones have a hint of orange :)

Having just read this thread I am now tempted to bring them all home after work!
IMG_20180922_095446463.jpg

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 22:30 »
Saw this thread and thought 'wow, a frost, that's early!' And then went outside yesterday morning and it was very chilly. Went across to the neighbouring field and frost was on the ground. Luckily not in my garden... Now I understand microclimates and frost pockets a bit better!
Like everyone else I am going to be forecast watching and vigilant from now on.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 05:04 »
I have late Carlingford potatoes in the ground for Christmas, will the frost ruin them?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 08:33 »
Probably, can you cover them with a polythene sheet or fleece, so they can grow for a bit longer?
If the foliage gets killed off completely you may still have tiny tubers in the ground, depends how long they've been growing for, though.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 09:47 »
Probably, can you cover them with a polythene sheet or fleece, so they can grow for a bit longer?
If the foliage gets killed off completely you may still have tiny tubers in the ground, depends how long they've been growing for, though.

I planted them on the 12th August, but they're growing well, earthed up already and they're well over a foot tall.

I thought about fleecing but it doesn't look like it would make that much difference being thin 'fabric'. Also they're in an odd shaped block since some didn't germinate so I'm not sure how practical it would be.

Worth a go though, it would be a shame to lose them. It was only after planting I learned they should have gone into bags to drag indoors in the event of a frost... (".)

xx
frost last night?

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 14, 2007, 10:00
by Aidy
xx
frost last night

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 18:19
by Christine
xx
Saturday night frost

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 16, 2016, 07:50
by Robster
xx
A very sad night last night....

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 08, 2011, 06:40
by rhysdad

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 40 queries.