Yolks in my new hens eggs

• 4 Replies

Fiona Fairgirl

Yolks in my new hens eggs
« on: June 15, 2016, 16:19 »
I'm new to this and had rather a rough start as one of my hens died within a day of starting.She was egg bound and had a sour crop.I introduced her replacement a few days ago.I am putting calcium vit d in the water as one hen still has tendency to lay a soft shell egg,also the egg yolks in the good eggs are very pale not quite as flavourful as the eggs my friend gets.My Gals are hybrid organically raised Columbian black tails and one hybrid Plymouth barred rock.Any suggestions.They are fed on organic layers pellets.Is there a lack of iron? I discovered how much they love comfrey so looked up if it's good for hens and it is so giving them a handful in the afternoon.All advice very welcome

grinling

Re: Yolks in my new hens eggs
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 19:24 »
They will need access to oyster shell for calcium,I have mine in a feeding dish attached to the run.
Mine free range (except at the mo as puppy training) and so eat grass and other plants. Never give mown grass as it will lead to impacted crop. They need the greens to absorb calcium.
If they are not free ranging a cabbage or brassica leaves would be good.
Have you checked over your hens? It is advisable to pick up each one and listen to breathing and check eyes are clear (no bubbles) as well as look for lice.

snow white

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 21:41 »
What is your set up.  How much space do they have.  Do they have access to "outdoors". 

Chickencoo

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 11:21 »
Mine are free range so can often eat things I do not want them to, but, on a morning I would give them layers pellets and after that mine get the wheat\corn mix, they also have a few places where they have piles of oyster grit and finer grit which they go to naturally.  Each time I have gotten new hens they take a bit of time to settle in to their new diet, the yolks change, generally they become deeper in colour, but it will take into account the food they get - mine is organic layers pellets and fancy feed wheat\corn mix with treats of sunflower seeds and then when required grapes with wormer on (I at least know they have each received their dose and the powder sticks to the sliced grape) and pasta with some poultry spice on.  It is better if your hens will allow you to lift them and have a feel of their crops and give them the once over, I have a 6x4 garden shed that has been converted so I can get in to see them easily on the perch and have learnt if they come out on a morning with a crop that still looks like it has food in there is a problem.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 13:57 »
Green food contributes massively to darker yolks which is why free range is considered desirable  :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

question
3 hens, 5 eggs?!*

Started by emmaellis on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 17, 2010, 20:56
by emmaellis
xx
4 hens only 3 eggs!!

Started by lynnsb on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 18, 2010, 19:14
by tesni
xx
3 Hens 2 Eggs

Started by jimroden on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 16, 2009, 04:13
by drumcrow
xx
4 hens 3 eggs

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 20:24
by rachelr

Page created in 0.549 seconds with 38 queries.