horsetail/marestail

• 22 Replies

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
horsetail/marestail
« on: June 26, 2014, 10:18 »
I've now got it popping up on my plot thanks to my new neighbour only weeding the centre of her plot. It's appearing in my permanent fruit bed, which makes it difficult to attempt to dig out.

I have double dug and removed all weeds from my new beds, thinking I could then perhaps go 'no-dig'. Before I go into full-scale panic mode, can those of you who have it tell me if it is actually a big deal?

I know it's difficult to get rid of, it pops back up regularly and can 'jump' across to unaffected soil. But does it interfere with anything growing?

My Committee have been swayed by another plot holder on my field to think that it's nothing to worry about.

And realistically, looking at her 2-hr weekly visits, my neighbour is not going to get rid of the main cause of it arriving on my plot.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: horsetail/marestail
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 10:30 »
We have a lot of it on our site.  It's a nuisance rather than a problem.  It doesn't compete too much for food and water as it's roots are so deep.  It can, however, if not kept under control, compete with smaller plants and seedlings for light.  And if allowed to grow unchecked it will very quickly become rampant.

If you can't dig out a lot of the roots, as in your fruit area just keep pulling it out.  If you hold the stem as low down as you can (preferably where it is brown rather than green) and very gently pull it upwards you can sometimes pull out a long length of root. 

If you don't allow the plant to photosynthesise it will gradually weaken.  "Don't let it see a Sunday" - so pull out or hoe off regularly.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 10:39 »
Hi Surbie I took on a plot that is riddled with it the autumn before that wet washout of a summer. It really got to me & I got really hung up on it. Then this year I just decided not to worry about it, I fully echo what Aunty says. I can understand your concern when you have double dug & cleared though. I've found that now I don't seem to have the epic problem of it now I'm not worried about it :). I pull it out at about 7-10 cms as read on here as supposedly it has then expended a lot of its energy by then & it checks it better.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

fatbelly

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 13:26 »
Mares tail is like Sal says a nuisance more than a problem.
Keep on hoeing and pulling it up.

Its been around on the planet since the time of the Dinosaurs so its survived Ice ages, Fire, drought, flood etc etc.

You will never get rid of it but you will greatly weaken it by hoeing and puling it up.

Off with its head(s)
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

boddy

• Winner Pumpkin Competition - 2014
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 14:10 »
Had to look at your location to check I wasn't your neighbour!! I have got loads and there is no way I can keep on top of it. The guy before me who had the allotment for 30 years didn't either. Pull it up when you see it it's not too much of a problem. The only thing it's stopped my growing so far is a bed of asparagus, though to be far maybe it wold work. Doesn't effect other perennial crops like fruits bushes, strawberries and rhubarb.
My favourite weed is a raspberry ;)

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 15:17 »
The very name Mares tail tends to send shivers down every gardener's spine maybe because it has a "look" about it and is so hard to eradicate. Does it actually damage growth, flavour or reduce crop harvests? I don't think it does - it's just got a bad name, but I thinnk there are other weeds that are just as bad.     
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 15:30 »
I agree entirely GG. Now I'm not scared of it or it's reputation it doesn't seem to be as bad. Yet to try it as a pan scourer.

surbie100

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 18:06 »
Thank you all for your replies. My heart did sink when I saw it poking up in the strawberries. Particularly given how much hard graft has gone into prepping. I probably feel extra precious about it because I have no garden.

Anyway, will do what I can to keep it to a minimum. Good to know it doesn't interfere much. Apparently you can eat it. Anyone tried?

Had to look at your location to check I wasn't your neighbour!!

Boddy, I'd move back up to Yorkshire in a heartbeat if it were an option, marestail or not! God's own county... :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 19:10 »
The growing conditions that horsetail likes are those that mimic the conditions that existed millions of years ago – acidic soil (low pH), low oxygen (wet or compacted soil), and very low nutrients.  Moist or boggy soil provides all three conditions, but in many cases dry soil is also acidic, compacted and lean.  So on a bit more of a long term basis you can create soil conditions that it doesn’t like.:

First of all, acidic soil can have the pH raised by the addition of lime at the rate recommended on the package.  Wait at least two weeks before adding any fertilizer, since lime and fertilizer tend to cancel each other out if applied together. Meanwhile, water in the lime.  Then dig as much compost, manure or other organic material into the soil as you can (removing any mares tail roots you find).  This will open up the soil structure and aerate it.  It will encourage worms, that will also aerate it and will improve the nutrient content.  These treatments will create a soil that Mare’s Tail will not like. Repeat on badly infested areas again in subsequent years. 

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 19:21 »
Where in Yorkshire are you from?

surbie100

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 19:31 »
Thanks AS. If it gets out of the fruit bed I will try that too. At the minute I am debating 'spilling' a certain compost accelerator down a bottle and onto it when on my way to the daleks... ;)

Snowy, I'm not, I'm from here, but I lived in Sheffield for 5 years and fell head over heels in love with the area. Am down here because my job is.

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 20:17 »
Ah, I didn't think you sounded as if you were when we met. I can usually hear a fellow Yorkshire wo/man at a hundred paces  :lol:

surbie100

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 21:34 »
Ah, I didn't think you sounded as if you were when we met. I can usually hear a fellow Yorkshire wo/man at a hundred paces  :lol:

I've lost any accent I adopted... :D

snowdrops

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 08:12 »
 :lol: mine was never strong but I drop the t when I get excited, cross or upset  :lol: oh & when we get over the border my hubby says.

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 08:37 »
The very name Mares tail tends to send shivers down every gardener's spine maybe because it has a "look" about it and is so hard to eradicate. Does it actually damage growth, flavour or reduce crop harvests? I don't think it does - it's just got a bad name, but I thinnk there are other weeds that are just as bad.   

Like bindweed here...

xx
Horsetail/marestail killer

Started by grumpyoldb on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 01, 2011, 21:51
by grumpyoldb
xx
Horsetail - Marestail Problem Weed Eradication

Started by Stevie P on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post January 22, 2008, 17:55
by mushroom
xx
marestail

Started by asdaboy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 30, 2009, 23:07
by peterjf
xx
marestail

Started by catweazle on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 07:16
by mike1987

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 38 queries.