Keeping chickens

• 5 Replies

apples6903

Keeping chickens
« on: February 05, 2011, 00:37 »
Hi everyone... for a long time i have been interested in keeping chickens in my garden.....recently we were fortunate enough to acquire a small patch of land behind my garden so we now have space to put in a coop and run. Unfortunetly my neighbours were concerned about our compost bin attracting vermin so no doubt with chickens they will be even  more concerned.. I am hoping to win them over by giving them fresh eggs....Could any one tell me if keeping chickens does attract mice/ rats and the best house to get to fit four hens? Any other advice for a complete newbie would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou in advance for any replies.
David

Fisherman

Re: Keeping chickens
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 07:36 »
The only thing that attracts vermin is food and a cosy place to live. If you design your coop correctly, prevent access to food and keep your run clean and tidy then you will have very few problems. For four hens you will need a small coop and a run at least 8 Mts. square but bigger the better. Covering part or all of the run helps especially in winter when it can get muddy and it also needs to be made fox proof. Raised coops say a metre off the ground are popular and provide some weather protection for the birds and also eliminate vermin living underneath it. If you'r getting chickens primarily for eggs then I would advise getting Hybrids as 4 hens will produce around 2 dozen eggs a week in their first year or two. Make sure you read up or search the site on parasite control (internal & external) as you need to be prepared before getting your birds. By the way you don't need a cockerel as chickens will lay just as well without one and I guess one would cause you more hassle with your neighbours than the vermin.

Just post a question and / or use the search facility if you need more specific information .

beth123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 07:44 »
Hi David

Keeping chickens will attract mice and rats but you just have to be careful and make sure you don't leave food and water pots out over night.  Getting a metal/steal bin with a lid to keep your food in will prevent anything eating it.  Another good tip I received was to raise your coop off the ground to discourage rats and mice making nests under it.  I've been keeping chickens since last year now, in my back garden, and I haven't had any problems.

Obviously you don't want to fall out with your neighbours but if they are concerned about a compost bin I do think they need to lighten up a bit.  Any food source will attract vermin, even the wheelie bin outside.

I cant really advise you on your coop but I'm sure more experienced members will help you with that one.  Welcome to the site and enjoy your chickens.

Beth    

Jeanette

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 14:18 »
Unfortunatly rats are everywere, but they will come if they think there is food. Take the food in at night and clear up any spills. I keep the food in a old dustbin that has a tight fitting lid so fermin cant get to it. Also have the coup raise of the floor mine is on a couple of bricks and i have also put wire mesh around the bottom of the coup so nothing can get under it to make a nest, or at worst a fox getting underneath. Good luck. Please remember chickens are addictive once you have got some you always want more. :)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 14:36 »
Pretty much everything you need to know has been said above, the only thing I do which works well is my run is covered, on one of the roof supports I have a hook where I hook the feeder at night so its 6 1/2 foot up in the air, no vermin can get to it.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 17:39 »
The neighours might be interested in a few eggs now and then, which should balance their objections - provided they don't notice any signs of vermin!

They reckon that in this country, you're never more than 10 feet from a rat - we are fighting a losing battle. We just have to manage henkeeping to minimise the attraction. 
ManicMum

xx
Keeping Chickens

Started by Lilac on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post October 26, 2007, 19:53
by SnooziSuzi
xx
keeping chickens

Started by tomtomgo44 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 20, 2008, 10:10
by poultrygeist
smiley
new to keeping chickens

Started by jony worrall on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 13, 2011, 09:12
by toasted
xx
New to keeping chickens

Started by stanlmic on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 03, 2009, 21:43
by andreadon

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 38 queries.