pickling mouse melons

• 10 Replies

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
pickling mouse melons
« on: August 07, 2013, 13:35 »
Does anyone have any experience of pickling mouse melons? Would I have to salt them first (like pickling onions) or can I just use them as they are?
Rachael

BobE

Re: pickling mouse melons
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 23:24 »

Ingredients
about 1 1/4 lbs, Mexican Sour Gherkin
3 tablespoons pickling salt
4 shallots, peeled
1 bay leaf
2 tarragon sprigs
10 black peppercorns
2 small dried chile peppersabout
2 cups white wine vinegar

Instructions
Wash the mini watermelon gently, and remove the blossom ends. In a bowl, mix the minis with salt. Let them stand 24 hours. Drain the cucumbers. Rinse them in cold water, and pat each one dry with a clean towel. Pack the cucumbers into a sterile 1-quart jar, interspersing among them the shallots, bay leaf, tarragon, peppercorns, and chili peppers, and leaving at least 1 inch headspace. Fill the jar to the brim with vinegar. Cover the jar tightly with a non-reactive cap, preferably one that is all plastic. Store the sealed jar in the refrigerator they will be ready to eat in 4 to 6 weeks.

http://zoom50.wordpress.com/2011/01/12/sandiita-ratonmexican-sour-gherkin-melothria-scabra-2/

edit to normalize text size and add link
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 14:19 by mumofstig »

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 08:59 »
Thanks, that sounds great, only it's not quite clear whether they are salted with brine or dry salt?

BobE

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 11:39 »
I read that as a salt water solution because it says, "after 24 hours drain them"  So they must be in water mixed with the salt.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 11:52 »
It looks a good recipe bob, please can you provide a link, or tell us where the recipe came from ;)

I'd use the salt dry - it will make the moisture come out of the gherkins and this is what liquid you need to drain away  :)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 11:54 »
I read it as them being dry salted as you would still need to drain the liquid off.  :lol: 

I wonder how much difference it makes? If they're in brine, there is more overall contact with the salt so I wonder if it is more efficient?  Maybe an experienced pickler could enlighten us?  :D
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2013, 12:07 »
I don't think brine would draw as much moisture out as  dry salt does.

The moisture you drain away is replaced by the pickling liquid, for crisp pickles  ;)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 12:09 »
Thanks Mum.  :)

BobE

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 12:20 »
Pickled Sanditas

4 allspice berries
8 black peppercorns
¼ teaspoon coriander seeds
1 1/3 cups white wine vinegar
2/3 cup water
1½ teaspoon pickling salt
3 tablespoons honey
1 quart sanditas (Melothria scabra)

In a small mortar, lightly crush the allspice, black pepper, and coriander seeds. In a small saucepan, combine the crushed spices with the vinegar, water, salt, and honey. Bring the liquid to a boil, and then let it cool for 5 minutes.

Pack the sanditas into a quart jar. Pour the hot liquid over them, right to the top of the jar (add a little more vinegar if you don’t have enough liquid to fill the jar to the top). Screw on a lid; if it’s metal, put a piece of plastic wrap in between. Let the jar sit at room temperature for at least three days before tasting the pickles. After that they should keep well at room temperature, but you may prefer to eat them chilled.

After three days of pickling the sanditas make a crisp, mildly tart snack; you may find yourself downing them by the dozen. Over time they’ll get more sour and more suitable as an accompaniment to fatty foods.

With my next batch of pickled sanditas, I plan to stab each fruit with a fork before packing the jar. This way the sanditas will have less tendency to float in the jar, and the pickles will be ready sooner.
http://agardenerstable.com/2012/09/02/pickling-mexican-sour-gherkins/

edit to add link
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 14:16 by mumofstig »

BobE

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 15:38 »
I saw this recipe the other day when I was trying to find information, and noticed that they didn't salt them at all before pickling, hence my question. The fruits don't have much moisture in them and are quite crisp anyway so perhaps salting is not necessary. I'm only going to have a few ready at a time so I will try different methods and let you know.

xx
pickling

Started by linash on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post November 25, 2013, 18:38
by gavinjconway
xx
Pickling

Started by WG. on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post August 02, 2007, 21:37
by GrannieAnnie
xx
pickling

Started by bobbywest on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2015, 17:20
by LotuSeed
xx
pickling

Started by samuria on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post March 31, 2018, 19:27
by samuria

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 39 queries.