Support for mange tout/peas

• 17 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Support for mange tout/peas
« on: February 15, 2017, 17:06 »
What support systems do people use for their mange tour and peas? Every year my mange tout seem to her too heavy and pull down the system I built for them and they lay horizontally for a week or so until I get back down to the plot and the slugs have had a nibble! I want to try peas for the first time this year as well. I plant in fairly big beds rather than long rows - what would people recommend?T

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Support for mange tout/peas
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 17:40 »
Ah-ha! A chance to drag this thread up again.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=50902.0
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 17:43 »
For the tall peas I put up a cane frame, just as I do for runner beans, but with the canes further apart. Then I tie strings backwards and forwards between the canes up to about 3ft high.
Once they have grown that high I add more strings as they grow.

For the short ones I do the same as DD. the method is the same, just shorter rows for me.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=50902.msg602767#msg602767

:lol: :lol: :lol: SNAP!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 17:44 by mumofstig »

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 18:23 »
I have done something similar to what you have said DD for the past 2 years and I must be doing it wrong as it just seems to collapse on itself. The strings start to sag and then it all falls over. I have used hessian twine so maybe ai need to use different twine.

It has worked well for broad beans but they seem to be more self supporting anyway. Mum of stig what sort of cane frame do you use? My runner beans grow up 2 wig wams that are joined across like a bridge and that works really well- but then you only need a few runner bean plants!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 18:46 »
You really need to use something like polypropylene twine. Doesn't stretch or sag when it gets wet - and with care you can re-use it many times.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 18:50 »
You really need to use something like polypropylene twine. Doesn't stretch or sag when it gets wet - and with care you can re-use it many times.

Maybe this is where I have gone wrong! I didn't really think about it until I reailsed that year you specifically mentioned the type of twine you used. Off to do some online shopping...

DIGGER

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 13:17 »
I think D D Peas must be some sight when in full flower . I grow a few rows and like most of my plot it's based on beg steel and borrow.At the moment  I use some old chain link fencing stretched and held by some rods.
It works even though last year I fell on it

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 14:56 »
I think D D Peas must be some sight when in full flower . I grow a few rows and like most of my plot it's based on beg steel and borrow.At the moment  I use some old chain link fencing stretched and held by some rods.

Do you just rip off the old haulms from the netting then, at the end of the season?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 15:00 »
I just spent £8.60 in 1kg of the polypropylene twine. Think that will keep me going forever more  :lol:

DIGGER

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 15:02 »

Do you just rip off the old haulms from the netting then, at the end of the season?

Same as runner beans really. I snip of at the bottom then leave for a week till they shrivell and pull of ,leave roots in ground.
I do take short cuts that the more proffesional allotment types would shake there head at.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 15:03 by DIGGER »

Jackypam

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 17:27 »
Old trellis panels shortened to chop off the rotten bits and with wooden stakes screwed in to stick into the ground. Easy to move around,stored behind the shed when not in use.   Works ok for me

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 18:57 »
I just spent £8.60 in 1kg of the polypropylene twine. Think that will keep me going forever more  :lol:

Money well spent!

Only type of twine which didn't work for me was a braided blue 'washing line' type which disintegrated last year leaving some of the runner beans on my Munty frame hanging in mid air!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 22:36 »

Crikey Moses ... that's a big roll!!!

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 07:38 »
I know but a half kilo was only a tiny bit cheaper. This should be approx 750m which will keep me going for quite a while

victoria park

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 15:36 »
On occasion, I would like to be more organised with these sort of structures, but never get around to it.
I might be a bit old fashioned, but I quite like the pea stick thing. Wouldn't work for larger crops obviously, but I tend to grow 3 smaller crops during the year, so it sort of works..
Sometimes I do string my main biggest crop and it definitely cuts down on the maintenance.
The jute things rot far too quickly, and I don't really want to use the modern twines, so I use good old fashioned string, from a wilko, and prop up the sags with a forked twig or two.

xx
mange tout peas

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 10, 2011, 22:38
by strangerachael
xx
peas and mange tout

Started by bright lights on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 14, 2008, 13:22
by Aidy
xx
Mange-tout peas

Started by keeper on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 20, 2014, 23:17
by keeper
xx
Protein value of Peas vs Mange Tout?

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 12:59
by Zippy

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 41 queries.